Big Island Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve Risley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'll be visiting the Big Island in June and was wondering if anyone could recommend some of the better shore diving locations. Much appreciated!

Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands
My favorites are Alua Beach and Hapuna Beach. Alua has a medium walk over lava to get to the beach, but outside the cove it drops off quickly with garden eels at 130 feet. There are a lot of turtles, fish and eels in the shallows. Hapuna Beach is a beautiful sandy beach entry with coral reefs extending from shore. There are also showers and a snack bar there.

Alua is where some of the boat dive operators take divers. Since it's right outside the harbor, it's because it's one of the better dives.

The other "signature" dive is Place of Refuge. You may also see it referred to here as Two-Step - that details the entry.

Kahulu'u Beach park is too shallow to dive. But if you want to snorkel with them, that's the place. And lots of fish.

Thanks for the tips. Two Step is on my list and I will look into Hapuna Beach since it's real close to where we are staying. Someone mentioned Puako, does anyone have any experience diving here?

I've done Puako a few times and really like it. Be sure to get there early, because when the trade winds kick up, it can get very rough.

Lots of great structure there and a huge amount of turtles. Not to mention white tip reef sharks.

It would be best for you to find or hire a local dive buddy, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips. Two Step is on my list and I will look into Hapuna Beach since it's real close to where we are staying. Someone mentioned Puako, does anyone have any experience diving here?

Hi Steve,

Puako, when the weather is cooperating, is one of the top dives on the island. Refer to the link that MaxBottomtime posted. Puako has an extensive reef system with collapsed lava tubes, numerous swim-throughs, and out in deeper water a large sand flat with garden eels at about 80' or so; but the visibility needs to be quite good (70 or 80 feet or better) to see them since they are very "shy" and will disappear into the sand as you approach... you need to hover just above the sand at a fair distance and watch them, but keep a sharp eye on your spg because they are found deep and you will burn through your air quickly. For this reason I don't bother trying to find garden eels unless the viz is exceptional... there is lots to see at 40' or less. As already mentioned, the wind can kick up mid-morning, so this is a site you need to get to early. If the wind/waves are up and there is surge, I skip this site.

"Two-step" is a very "reliable" shore dive as far as predictable good-to-excellent viz, and easy entry/exit, and lots to see. You need to get there early not so much for weather conditions but for parking. There is lots of stuff to see from 10' - 40' or so, then a dramatic drop down a coral wall into much deeper water... but this is a site (like many on the Big Island) that has most of the cool stuff in shallower water.

With all Hawaii diving I recommend swimming slow and scanning frequently. Zoom across the reef and you'll come home thinking Hawaii does not have much in the way of sea life.... slow down, look carefully, and you'll start to spot LOTS of critters. Keep track of your "navigation" since many of Hawaii's best shore dives have only one safe entry and exit.... there are very few real beaches on the Big Island, and you usually will not have the option of exiting further down the coast if you get "lost".

Enjoy your trip!

Best wishes.

Last edited:
One dive site I didn't see listed on the map linked above is a beach called Ho'okena. I haven't dove there yet, but I routinely encounter divers there. It's a nice beach/small bay where you have a very good chance of encountering spinner dolphins as there is a resident pod that lives in the bay. They also have public hot showers (a big plus after diving). Ho'okena is located between dive sites 15 and 16 on the aforementioned linked map.

One dive site I didn't see listed on the map linked above is a beach called Ho'okena. I haven't dove there yet, but I routinely encounter divers there. It's a nice beach/small bay where you have a very good chance of encountering spinner dolphins as there is a resident pod that lives in the bay. They also have public hot showers (a big plus after diving). Ho'okena is located between dive sites 15 and 16 on the aforementioned linked map.

Here is the link for Ho'okena: Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Hookena State Beach Park of The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands

I've never dove their either (hangs head in shame :blush:). It is "on my list", but is a pretty long haul from Hilo, so I usually hit Puako, Mahukona, and from time to time Two Step or Ke'ei when I'm not diving in Hilo.

Almost anywhere you can safely get in and out of the water will be a good dive, and in many cases a great dive. The trick is being able to enter and exit safely.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom