BIG KNIFE or little knife ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving for 28 years and have done nearly 2900 dives. In that time I have needed a knife 3 times for use in earnest (not counting cutting sandwiches etc). On all 3 occasions the rope or wire concerned would not have cut with a small knife or shears as it was 1" thick or more

I carry a 8" knife on my leg, a 3" backup on the BC or harness, Shears on my belt and a net slasher (Z) in my pocket.

The 1" apple peelers I see a lot of folks carrying are useless in anchor line or loster pot rope unless its under tension. If your going to carry a knife, carry a knife. Likewise a knife is not good in fishing net where shears or z knifes are best

Who cares what the fashion police say, carry the tools appropriate to the job

Many people recommend a broadsword. This is non-optimal.

You'll want an epee (or foil, depending on your skill level) for the smaller stuff. It is thin enough to easily reach into coral and rocks. Nice and speedy enough to get the occasional 'cuda. A broadsword is way too large for this stuff, and the foil gives bonus Errol Flynn points.

For larger fish, shark, and marine mammals you'll definitely want a claymore. A broadsword doesn't have enough heft to damage the large larger prey. Nothing like 15 pounds of Scottish steel to make the wee beasties think twice.

Peter Doege
(Tongue in cheek! I actually carry a smallish folding knife and some shears.)

If you are going to wear a BIG knife or any knife for that matter down on your calf, I would strongly recommend that you wear the knife on the inside of your calf and not the outside as it is much less likely to get entangled if it is on the inside. What size knife you carry will mostly depend on where you will be diving. I would also recommend that you carry a pair of EMT shears as well.

Never snagged the knife on the outside of my legs in all those dives!!!! Its not an issue even diving in kelp

My beer gut and shoulders are far wider than my legs and the membrane drysuit material folds at the knee are wider than my big knife

madmole once bubbled...
Never snagged the knife on the outside of my legs in all those dives!!!!

Now that would be ironic.

madmole once bubbled...

Never snagged the knife on the outside of my legs in all those dives!!!! Its not an issue even diving in kelp
Good for you madmole, however where I dive most people wear wetsuits(mostly shortys" instead of drysuits, the viz is poor 3-8ft, and there is an abundance of monofilament fishing line that just loves things like big knives hanging out in the open, as well as fin strap buckles and various other things. Obviously wearing the knife on the outer part of the leg works well for you and I certainly would not want you to change something that has worked for so long, however, there are conditions where it is a big advantage to wear the knife on the inside of the leg, and there is no reason that I can think of where it would be a bad idea to wear the knife on the inner calf, so I as well as most instructors I know recommend that new divers learn to wear it on the inside.

True, I would find it a strange feeling as not used to it, but I cant think of any reason not to stick it there as long as your not knock knee'd

Mono is a real pain isn't it!!!. Try doing what we used to do at Bovisand harbour where there used to be loads of fishermen. Take a pack of frozen kippers down and stick it on their hook and give it a good pull :wink:

I used to tape my Jet fin straps, but since swapping to force fins, there isn't anything to snag there

Smaller knife with serrated edge on the waistbelt within reach of BOTH hands. If you get snagged by someone fishing and they start reeling you in with 30 lb. test,can you reach a knife on your calf? I also carry shears in a suit pocket. A big knife is good if you encounter a scary monster from the deep:D or for hacking your way thru a kelp bed on the surface:bonk:

Spear Fishing = Big knife.

Just about everything else = Smaller knife.

Unless of course you compensating for something (like lack of enough lead).
I have small blunt tipped, serrated knife zipped to my BC. I also have a pair of shears behind my weight pocket. A knife is a nice tool for cutting line or for prying (hence the blunt tip) that kind of thing. They are not for fighting off irriatated marine life, capturing passing nuclear submarines etc.
But, if you just gotta have a BIG one, don't forget the camo wetsuit.
TR

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom