Big Mistake? Punta Cana Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in Punta Cana at the end of November at the Iberostar (???) resort. We checked into diving but between the constant high winds and the cost, we decided not to dive. The dive master said that at the resort, the wind is usually high since it comes unobstructed from the Atlantic. He said the ocean was better "around the island". After watching everyone loading and unloading into the boat at the beach, we agreed that sipping coladas was a better use of our time.

In Apr this year, I was at Pirate's Cove near Santa Domingo (i.e. resort run by oily bikini lady). The oceans were pretty calm and viz was pretty good (40 - 60 feet) each day. I rate the diving better than good but I'm very picky. I prefer big wrecks and deep dives and really clear water. 60 is good but not as clear as my Cayman or Bahamas trips.

Golf's supposed to be good in Punta Cana...

If RUI won't let you out of your deal, see if you can trade for their new property in Aruba.

I have not been there before. I have heard that it is beautiful but dangerous.

In the morning I will if I can bail out or not. The determining factor is if the flight has been booked. If so, I'm out of luck.

But, I came up with an option. I can (possibly) change to a resort closer to Catalina.

If my flight has not been booked, I requested to head back to Negril, Jamaica for my vacation.

I just got off of the phone with my travel agent. It must be my one and only lucky day this year because I was able to change my trip to Jamaica!!:D

On one hand, I'm a little bummed because I've never been to D.R. and won't get to experience a different culture. On the other hand, I know what to expect in Jamaica as far as diving goes and I was pleased the last time I was there.

Wise choice I think. I've not been to the DR, but I honestly haven't heard good things about the diving there. High winds common, bad viz. and not a lot to see are the usual complaints.
On the other hand, I love Jamaica :) I've only been to Montego Bay, and ya, the diving wasn't the best in the world, but it was still pretty good. As for it being dangerous, I wouldn't wander around the island alone in the dark, but hey, we all have to be careful everywhere. I've gotta say that in general I've found the Jamaicans to be some of the nicest, friendliest people who don't deserve the bad rep. they have.
I am in Grand Cayman right now. My fiance is working here... with many great Jamaicans. The Cayman Islands are known to be safe, but the ironic thing is, it is loaded with Jamaicans all here to work and send money home to their families. In fact, the Jamaicans and all the hoards and hoards of expats working here from all over the world, and boat loads of cruise ship tourists, and toss in the divers, all hugely out number the actual Caymanians!
Yes, diving is good here in the Caymans, but I personally think Jamaica is under rated as a good all around destination for a combination of the best beaches, actual island culture... plus diving that certainly isn't the worst around. Oh.. and don't forget... more affordable. The Caymans aren't cheap, especially given the lack of all-inclusives.
We are really looking forward to our trip to Negril in Jan. I'm sure you'll have a great trip too! :)

I really enjoyed the people in Jamaica! Very friendly bunch of people. I wandered away from the resort (Couples) at night and wasn't very worried. The great thing about Couples was that the diving was included! They only had 2 tank dives/day but I did a few night dives to supplement my habit.

The Riu which I will be staying at has Scuba Caribe diving outfitters on site but I've had some major problems with this company in the past. Upon the suggestion of another member from this site, I contacted Sundivers. They charge less for diving and travel to better dive locations than Scuba Caribe. They will be picking me up from my resort (for free)!

I might also take my AOW course with them. It's a little more expensive to do it in Jamaica than it is at home but, it's 0 deg/F around here and I wouldn't be able to certify until next summer.

Back
Top Bottom