Biggest little dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dang you Packhorse and your temptations!

Whopping 7% more light, he says
Limited edition, he says
Only have one, he says

Mine!, I says

:D

I now have another highly modified dive light for sale.
This is a Ultrafire W200. Its a copy of the Tilltec W30 AKA AElight W30.
It uses a aluminium head and plastic ( probably Delrin) body and has 3 O rings sealing the battery compartment.
The lens is nearly 6mm thick glass and its weakest point. ( I have used 3.2mm thick glass with a much wider diameter to 50 meters).
Its rated to 200meters although I have no way to verify this.
It has done one test dive to 57 meters and performed faultlessly.

Anyway the modded version uses a Cree R2 LED driven at 1000ma.
It now takes 2 18650 Li Ion rechargeable or 4 CR123 primarys!
I can make it so it has a 5 degree beam up to 20 degrees although I find the 10 degree to my liking.
Run time at full out put should be about 4-5 hours on 2x2500ma 18650 cells. It will give no warning before shutting off due to low batteries.
Length is 200mm
Bottom pic shows W200 on left and IST on the right.
As you can see the W200 is slightly brighter and slightly wider angle.

Cost is $300NZ ( about $170us)

ISTandW200.jpg

w200vsIST.jpg

I should point out this is a prototype so has had little testing. I feel confident in it though and warranty it for 6 months.

What can i say? The light worked great! I can't believe how far the light carries and how intense the beam is! I dive off of Cape Ann in Mass. Last Friday I went out in average conditions for this time of year (10ft viz, 38deg. water temps). I was looking for lobster down at 60fsw and was able to look into crevices from something like 10 feet away. That's just not possible with my Princeton tech 3 LED. The distance it covered was fantastic. It was also very useful for keeping in contact with my buddy in the low viz conditions. I purchased the single mode based on the recommendations of others. It is a twist on but I had no issues turning it on with dry gloves. The small size of the light makes is great for shore diving as well. The beam is very focused and intense which works well in the daylight and when looking in crevasses. However, I think at night, the area it covers would not be sufficient as a primary. Given that, it is now my primary light for daytime dives!

thanks packhorse, got to pu the lights and give an on land test and lookiing foward to an in water test if the springs ever clear
or the weather settles enough to get offshore
still working on a spear gun light mount/killspike and will show when ready
thanks again David

Back
Top Bottom