Bike question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Give us an idea of costs for the rentals and some posts and where you will be riding. Love to hear these.
I just love to ride early mornings, especially on sundays. No traffic out, cooler.
Have fun and be careful out there.

One to three days is $15 a day, 4-7 is $12, and it can go down a bit for longer. I think we originally asked for eight days and changed to 10 and are paying some combination of $10 and $8 per bike per day. Cash. Isis also wanted $8 a day, but the bikes were rough and cheap.

When we rented bikes from Rogelio's shop last September, it was $60 for a week.

Ann, do you know if Rogelio works at this new shop? I sounded like he might have closed Sombrero and is just referring prospective customers to another shop.

One to three days is $15 a day, 4-7 is $12, and it can go down a bit for longer. I think we originally asked for eight days and changed to 10 and are paying some combination of $10 and $8 per bike per day. Cash. Isis also wanted $8 a day, but the bikes were rough and cheap.
Thanks for the information. Did you bring your own lock/cable and helmet?

Ron, was the $60 per week for the scott MTBs? I don't know, but I would guess Rogelio might be doing a little sublet thing with Mr. Tomas and the tuk tuks.

As to helmets, seems riders are on their own. Each bike comes with a cable lock, however.

Just thought I'd follow up. We didn't end up using the bikes quite as much as I envisioned (I was thinking we'd do long rides during the cool mornings of the non-dive days we spent in town, but we didn't get the bikes 'til we were at the Blue Angel and using our mornings for diving), which is to say there were no attempts to transverse the island. We did log about 25 miles out and back down toward Punta Sur one hot afternoon. And we did use the bikes as basic round-town transportation.

The cyclopista is really nice, if not fully devoid of cars. I enjoyed cruising by wetland areas and occasionally hearing something big go crashing into the water as we passed. I like to think they were crocodiles. I ride about 100 miles a week at home given decent weather, but it's mostly on a nice, light little road bike. Though the Scott bikes are of much better fundamental quality than most of what's on the island, the huge, knobby MTB tires were an adjustment I didn't love. I also started out with a really worn seat that was weirdly angled down in the back, which was hard on my back. Mr. Tomas at the Tuk Tuk was great about letting me swap it out. He doesn't speak much English, and my Spanish is limited, but it worked out. I believe Rogelio that he has the best-maintained rental bikes on the island. They weren't perfect--my husband had a slippy seat, the brakes were rough and I have no idea if the tires were properly inflated (some tires had Presta valves, making me think the smart money would be on bringing a gauge and pump). But the gears worked, the chains were good and nothing was bent. There was some rust. My bikes all have nicknames. I called this one "Beast."

The churro guy had recognized us riding around and warned us the first morning that Cozumel drivers have "no respect" for people on bikes. But it really didn't seem that bad (we ride on much more congested streets at home, with no lack of inattentive, easily irritated motorists), and in our limited wanderings, it seemed that people gave us the right-of-way when we were legally entitled to it. At night, we lashed dive lights to our handlebars. At home, I'm so paranoid about bike theft that I'm very selective about what bike I'll lock, and where, and with what (cheap u-lock and/or huge, heavy chain), so it was a nice change to feel we could go into a restaurant and lock up using the little cable locks that came with the bikes. At night, we dragged the bikes up the stairs and kept them in our room--yay for being only on the second floor.

Would I do it again? I'm not absolutely sure, under present circumstances. I loved the freedom. But We had a couple days where bikes sat idle. And there was grousing in some quarters the night it stormed. Maybe I'd keep them fewer days, in retrospect. I'd still love to ride the island's perimeter. But I may have to see if there's a reasonable way to get there with my own bike. Doesn't look like the legacy carriers are it, though.

Things to know about Sombrero: cash! Bring your own helmet, lights, emergency kits etc. if you want them. Locks provided. Bikes have water-bottle cages.

J At night, we dragged the bikes up the stairs and kept them in our room--yay for being only on the second floor.

Ann,

We were also staying at the BA when we rented bikes last fall. We kept ours under the stairs that lead from the first floor down to the dive shop area (in the space next to the little restrooms).

We didn't go any distance with ours...we mostly just kind of toodled around the residential areas of town. Previously, we'd always stayed on the beaten, touristy paths. Zigging and zagging up and down the side streets gave us a very different feel for the town. We dove every morning, then spent at least a couple hours pedaling around town. Really enjoyed it.

Ron

DSCF2582.jpgView attachment 163740 <----------Eva's bike :catherine:
Thanks Ann for the update. probably good to have a few tools, patch kit, pump, first aid kit. Mountain bike tires can be a lot of work on the road, especially if doing distance. From what you are saying I think I might just rent for a day here and there when I want to ride, especially down to point sur.
Funny I have either used Eva's bike at the BA or one of the DM's. A few adjustments on the seat, lots of air in the tires and pretty much ok.
Then I just buy a nice gift for the DM. One of the DM's (Jorge) offered me his road bike when I told him I wanted to circle the island one Sunday morning. (Never got a chance to do it though, maybe next trip).

Eva's bike--looks like a cruiser? I rented a really bad one in the Turks & Caicos last year--awkward to ride, but the tires were easier to move down the street. I know Jorge is doing some serious riding (and running and swimming) and has one, if not two, nice road bikes. If you're the right height (I'm not), and the offer is on the table, that sounds like a great way to go. Did you go to the gas station for air, or use an air tank (like we do at home), or what?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom