Bikini Atoll dive centre closes down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkUK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Unless someone manages to make the internal flights more reliable, looks like the wrecks of Bikini Atoll are going to be off the must-dive list...

What a shame... We had an article on them just last year and they did look just as awesome as the hype.

Mark

Bikini closes down

One of the world's most famous wreck-diving destinations has ceased trading, its owners blaming fuel costs and an unreliable aircraft service.
Bikini Atoll is now without any form of diving operation, after its only centre closed down in May.
Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands is famous for its array of shipwrecks sunk during the famous atomic tests of the 1950s. Among them is the USS Saratoga, one of the few diveable aircraft carrier shipwrecks.
For 13 years, the atoll has sustained an elite dive business, Bikini Atoll Divers, which was able to support extended range diving in the deep lagoon, where several wrecks lie in the 50m range. However trips to the atoll have become a costly lottery, as Air Marshall Islands' service has become increasingly expensive and unreliable.
The past seven months has seen only one set of visitors making to Bikini, and there have been reports of groups being transported back to the capital island of Majuro by a coastguard boat - a three-day journey. For now, Bikini will be available only to independent adventurers and the super rich, such as Microsoft's Paul Allen, who visited on his mega-yacht Octopus last February.
In an email to his clients, Bikini Atoll Divers spokesman Jack Niedenthal attributed the decision to cease operations to what he called 'the situation with the airline', coupled with rising fuel charges. The Marshall Islands government is expected to make a decision on Bikini's future as a diving destination at a meeting to be held next month. But with the nation's finances suffering, Bikini is unlikely to reopen in the near future.

Crap.....this was one of my must do destinations.

But, hopefully someone will see this as an opportunity. You just need a few retired pilots(who want to fly just once a week and some Cash(vintage DC-3?). "Air Bikini" has a great ring to it.

fyi:

Dear All,
It is with a very heavy heart that I write this email.
After 13 great-though-challenging years as one of the premier wreck diving and fishing tourism sites in the Pacific, Bikini Atoll will be closed to tourists as of June 11, 2008 (the last week of customers will be June 4-11).

We have made this decision due to the situation of our local airline, Air Marshalls, and also because of the rapid rise in the world price of fuel, which has made all of our operating expenses just skyrocket beyond our means.

In August of this year our local government, during our annual budget meeting, will decide whether or not we can afford to open Bikini Atoll in 2009. At this point in time, given the challenges our trust fund is facing because of the recent poor performance of the US stock market and a recession-bound US economy, the prospect of opening next year appears very doubtful. This news has been very hard on the Bikinian leaders and our people as all of the proceeds from the operation have gone toward purchasing
food for our communities on Kili Island, Ejit Island and Majuro Atoll.

We would like to take this time to thank our staff on Bikini Atoll for being patient over the last 7 months that saw our operation have only one week of visitors, and a one week visit by Paul Allen's mega-yacht, MY Octopus. We would also like to thank all of the people and organizations over the years that have helped support us in this truly amazing endeavor that opened up a
fantastic diving and fishing destination for the world.

Hopefully, sometime in the future, there will be in an email in your inbox saying that Bikini Atoll has been reopened for tourists. Until then, God bless.

Regards,
Jack Niedenthal
Tourism Operations Manager for
the Bikini Atoll Local Government
PO Box 1096
Majuro, MH 96960
Phone: (from U.S.) 011-692-625-3177
Fax: (from U.S.) 011-692-625-3330
E-mail: bikini@ntamar.net
Get all the diving facts about Bikini Atoll at:
Bikini Dive/Tourism Information
Visit The Official Bikini Atoll Web Site at: Welcome to Bikini Atoll

This was on my must do list. Very sad.

Boo! There goes my two-year goal. Guess I have to become super-rich and by a mega-yacht now. And I liked being poor!

Such a tragedy, but hopefully something will change or someone will see the opportunity here. I mean, with this dive you are actually staring WWII history in the face. What an incredible opportunity lost. I simply can't accept that is just it. Anyone making a private yacht-trip out there anytime soon with an extra bunk?!?!?

Hah, I found that link earlier tonight. Supposedly Paul Allen is in town on his yacht, but I think the big ass one I see out on the waterfront may be smaller than this one. You wouldn't even need scuba gear what with the submarine on board! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom