Bilikiki - Solomons - Time for New Boat Managers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with 2 Suunto computers, a Cobra and a Mosquito, and both start beeping at 107. I can look it up in my downloaded logs, but im fairly sure we went to about 120, for just a short period of time. The stereo beeping was definately driving me crazy. Monty and I sticked together afterwards and did a really long safety stop at 40 ft. I didnt set my computer to 1.6, but I know you can go to 130 on 1.6 and i use that bit of extra depth for specific dives. Normally I wouldnt go below 107, if only cause my computers drive me crazy :)

There is no way Monty or Michelle would purposefully disregard safety. They know the limits very well, because when you are as remote as they are, any problem means some really complicated manoeuvering and using very remote airfields and multiple jumppoints to get someone to a deco chamber.

It's like Peter said, if you wake up in the morning already set to dislike everything, all you remember are your perceived negatives, and you'll probably exaggerate those.

Cor

ps: I would skip that dive. That truck is really not worth the effort. The only reason I went is cause I had been at that dive site (White Beach) so often, I figure id go see what the big deal is. Instead, just dive in the shallows of White Beach around the barges. Thats where I made that soft coral in the mangroves picture, that very same dive! (while someone else was sulking away all that fun :)

peterjmaerz:
VetDiver,

Just set your Suunto to 1.6 as I do with my Cobra. Ya gotta figure that, with the Suunto as conservative as it is, you've got an extra margin, even if you're going with 1.6 instead of 1.4. Besides which, most of the time, my tank was at 31% or less on the Spirit.

Just my dos centavos.

Best,

Just as a historical note, years ago before NOAA "invented" Nitrox and dive computers didn't exist, we dove the USN Tables: max PO2 in those tables was 2.1 atm. Prospective commercial divers were often tested for O2 tolerance at 60 feet (2.8atm) for 30 minutes; failure to tolerate meant washout. They may (probably?) still are.

I'm not advocating a return to "the good old days", just pointing out that the currently accepted values of 1.4 or 1.6 atm are quite conservative.

Don - But...but...I am still haunted by the twitching underwater guy in the PADI Nitrox video...kidding...thanks for that info. Very reassuring to a wuss like myself. I think I will reset my stupid Cobra.

Cor - ("It's like Peter said, if you wake up in the morning already set to dislike everything, all you remember are your perceived negatives, and you'll probably exaggerate those.") IMO, anyone who wakes up in the Solomons ready to dislike ANYTHING has a bigger problem than imperfect food. Can I say? I LOVE your SO for telling the guy on your trip to shut it...being a wuss, I might not do the same flat out, but a little sarcasm goes a long way... I have the feeling my husband will want to dive any and all available wrecks...maybe I will ditch him to play "Cor, behind the lens" in mangrove-land...will post my inevitably sad (for me) and entertaining (for you) attempts when I return...

vetdiver:
I LOVE your SO for telling the guy on your trip to shut it...being a wuss, I might not do the same flat out, but a little sarcasm goes a long way...

OIY! You....hold back??? I don't believe it :eyebrow:

care for a cookie?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom