bioluminescence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jumpinghorse

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all! A couple of night ago just prior to a full moon, I was walking on the dock at the marina and spotted small, bright green glowing things in the water just below the surface . I am sorry I didnt get a picture! I have not seen an bioluminecant creature like this before. I have sailed 1,000's of miles of ocean and seen many creatures glow but the behavior of this was diffrent than any I have ever seen. I suspect it was a jelly of some sort. It looked like a tiny glow worm wiggling and leaving a trail of "glow" before it would fade away in a few seconds. It seems like there was a body connected to the glowing parts but it was very dark even with the moon near full. I think it might be a jelly fish luring small fish to itself with one glowing and wiggling tentacle but I am not sure. It wasn't a moon jelly because I have seen these guys light up when you disturb them and this was very diffrent.
Anyone have any information on what type of marine organism this might have been?

Could they be tiny amphipods? I have seen lots of tiny ampipods glow at night and they move erratically and can look like tiny glowing worms because of the patterns of their movement. I saw this happen along the shore line it was beautiful...

It wasn't a comb jelly by any chance? Probably not, based on your description and your vantage point, but I offer the option anyway . . .

-Bryan

Thanks for the ideas! The description of the amphipod sound very close. It could have been a comb jelly I guess but it looked like it had tentacles..or a least one long glowing one and combs don't have flowing tentacles. I will do some more research on it. Thanks again!

Ooh, ooh! I bet I know... I have to go look it up though. There's some kind of planktonic shrimp or something that shoots a single bioluminescent trace, I think to confuse preditors. I'n doing an interview right now though, but when I'm done I'll see if I can find video of it and a name.

Awesome! I have not had time to look any of this up but I sure will as soon as I can! I love this stuff! Very interesting! I have noticed that they seem to come to the surface around the full moon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom