Bitten by octopus on the chin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm. If you had played your cards right, that nice bite would have brought in the big boys for a look-see. You could have upgraded.

Too funny, I used to have a great big red beard, but it never bit me.

A nuber of years ago a small octopus crawled out of a snorkel I brought up. Picked up the octo to throw it back into the water and everyone wanted to see it. It was sitting on top of my hand and very red. It bite me, tiny trickle of blood, and my hand burned for some time. I guess it hit me with some venom.

I don't know what to say other than OUCH!!!!!! Lesson learned thank goodness.

Any day now when the moon :mooner: is full, we will here from Scubadrew as the "wereoctopus ", or "vampus" :11:

..and my experience has shown me that there are more people that do than don't.
You know who you are...lol

We are happy to report that WAY more divers avoid contact with the critters than don't. But we certainly hate to see anyone injured.

Ouch Drew! He got you pretty good! How did it feel afterwards? Was there swelling and any abnormal pain? How did you heal up?

I got bit by an octopus on land once. Crazy story...this random guy gets out of the water at Makena Landing by climbing up the rocks. As he's walking through the parking lot, a small octopus crawls out of his jet fin and lands in the gravel. He didn't even know it was in his fin! I picked it up and we put it in a bucket of sea water so it could clean up the dirt that was stuck all over it. I took him out of the bucket to look at him and he wrapped around my left hand and bit me next to my watch band. It only made a small bite mark and drew a little blood (less than you show in your video) but my arm hurt all the way up to my shoulder for about 15 minutes afterward. I was considering a doctors opinion but then it seemed to get better and finally just went back to feeling normal. I ended up with a small scar. I'm not aware of any toxin in our local octopus but since some other species are toxic, maybe they all have the potential of some different degree of toxicitiy.

I hope you heal up soon!

Wow..... that was amazing, I'm not one to play with my food, but if that's your thing, go for it.

Please tell us how long/how good did it heal? Based on your reaction it doesn't look like the octo hurt you as much as it could have, those guys can be amazingly painful.

Suggest you don't try the chin trick with our local octos: LINK

hey drew,
i can tell you exactly why you was bitten,,,,, grabing the 3rd leg clockwise from the front, that leg also serves as the sexual uh-hum so by grabbing it you was starting the mate'n ritual...
if you look @ that leg you'll see what i mean,,, the suckers are much less defined than the other legs
capt scotty

ps it's also a stubby (the male chews the end off) for better penetration (no joke)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom