Bitterness of Scuba Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like Matt, I'm a newbie to scuba and this board, and might have some perspective because of that.

I was on the internet before we knew that was what it was called, back in the days when you'd listen to the hiss and skwawk of your 300 baud modem handshaking with a BBS some guy (later to become a dot com multimillionaire) was running out of his mother's basement. I'm a literature professor, but my masters was about online communities because I've participated in them since I was an early teenager and have always been fascinated by what we are doing now - reaching out and swapping ideas with people who are interested in stuff we are interested in too. There are fancy terms for this - Habermasian dialogue, situated ambient learning in a community of practice, legitimate peripheral participation, blah blah, but what we are talking about is shop talk.

I reckon that when people with expertise get into shop talk, there's often an element of venting. When my colleagues and I gather around the proverbial water cooler, it's often the frustrating students or the occult bureaucratic practices of our employer we will talk about. We will bitch and moan. It would sound bitter to an overhearer - but the fact is, we are dedicated and love what we do. It's a kind of problem solving, to talk about this stuff in this way. It's a kind of self-check (do others feel how I feel). It's a kind of camaraderie, and if we sound aggrieved it's because we care enough to be. It's shop talk.

Part of shop talk in online communities is talking about the shop talk. I'm yet to see a community that doesn't self-reflect as this one is doing now. Things were better before. Things were worse before. Newbies are wrecking the joint in an Eternal September. The establishment is cliquey and stifling and their ettiquite is outmoded. Etc. Its good and healthy for a community to self-monitor.

I've settled on this place as my online scuba home because it's a good community. I visited several others. People here have been exceptionally generous to me with their time and insight in answering questions (as I'm sure you will agree they have been with you, Matt).

That said, yeah, there is a tone of exasperation here sometimes. I don't think that is being imagined. Check out the seven kinds of eye-rolling going on in this one thread! Ha. I note the various digs made at you here, Matt, and note that there is a general suspicion of 'newness' in this community.

I'm inclined to read much of that as passionate people caring about a sport they love; a sport that can be dangerous if not treated with respect. Newbies are problematic in the water in a bunch of ways, procedurally and attitudinally. Maybe that suspicion of newbies (and this might be a very caring, justified, safety-based suspicion) in terms of dive numbers carries over here as part of a broader culture. The gang here seems closer knit than in many places, with a comparative few being quite visible. And so on, and so: shop talk.

There are other factors too, I reckon. Doctors might be a homogenous bunch - certain socioeconomic backgrounds and personality types are more likely to enter that profession than others. Liberal arts professors tend to be likewise sameish. I'm inclined to think that this sport is more catholic. The people I've met thus far are from a wide variety of backgrounds, from those cashed-up plumbers who appeared earlier in the thread to military types to engineers to retirees to college students etc. I love that about this sport. Cultures and personalities seem to vary a lot in the scuba community. Some will be prickly and combative. Some will be peacemakers. I read you, Matt, as one of the latter. That makes you a good guy in my books. But I'm partial to ornery iconoclastic bastards too.

I guess what I'm saying is yeah, I see it. I don't think it's a problem. I think in a heterogenous group that values competency and pragmatism and individuality over conformity you get this. I think the community here has standards of etiquette and tries to self-monitor them. I don't think any one-size-fits-all way of being will ever work here.

I think raising this sort of question is healthy and useful.

I think it's also fair to read your question as implicitly judgmental and a little patronizing. If you got noses out of joint, look to your stereotyping of instructors both in terms of attitude and socioeconomic class.

I think if the community got too lovey-dovey it would lose something. I think personal attacks and downright rudeness should be shot down when seen.

I think the moderators are doing an amazing job, and we all owe them thanks and beers. What they do ain't easy, and let this thread be a reminder of that. Despite it all, the cats seem to me largely well herded here, the occasional hiss and spit notwithstanding.

I think this place is healthily imperfect. Me likey.

Peace out.

Or don't.

Like Matt, I'm a newbie to scuba and this board, and might have some perspective because of that.

I was on the internet before we knew that was what it was called, back in the days when you'd listen to the hiss and skwawk of your 300 baud modem handshaking with a BBS some guy (later to become a dot com multimillionaire) was running out of his mother's basement. I'm a literature professor, but my masters was about online communities because I've participated in them since I was an early teenager and have always been fascinated by what we are doing now - reaching out and swapping ideas with people who are interested in stuff we are interested in too. There are fancy terms for this - Habermasian dialogue, situated ambient learning in a community of practice, legitimate peripheral participation, blah blah, but what we are talking about is shop talk.

I reckon that when people with expertise get into shop talk, there's often an element of venting. When my colleagues and I gather around the proverbial water cooler, it's often the frustrating students or the occult bureaucratic practices of our employer we will talk about. We will bitch and moan. It would sound bitter to an overhearer - but the fact is, we are dedicated and love what we do. It's a kind of problem solving, to talk about this stuff in this way. It's a kind of self-check (do others feel how I feel). It's a kind of camaraderie, and if we sound aggrieved it's because we care enough to be. It's shop talk.

Part of shop talk in online communities is talking about the shop talk. I'm yet to see a community that doesn't self-reflect as this one is doing now. Things were better before. Things were worse before. Newbies are wrecking the joint in an Eternal September. The establishment is cliquey and stifling and their ettiquite is outmoded. Etc. Its good and healthy for a community to self-monitor.

I've settled on this place as my online scuba home because it's a good community. I visited several others. People here have been exceptionally generous to me with their time and insight in answering questions (as I'm sure you will agree they have been with you, Matt).

That said, yeah, there is a tone of exasperation here sometimes. I don't think that is being imagined. Check out the seven kinds of eye-rolling going on in this one thread! Ha. I note the various digs made at you here, Matt, and note that there is a general suspicion of 'newness' in this community.

I'm inclined to read much of that as passionate people caring about a sport they love; a sport that can be dangerous if not treated with respect. Newbies are problematic in the water in a bunch of ways, procedurally and attitudinally. Maybe that suspicion of newbies (and this might be a very caring, justified, safety-based suspicion) in terms of dive numbers carries over here as part of a broader culture. The gang here seems closer knit than in many places, with a comparative few being quite visible. And so on, and so: shop talk.

There are other factors too, I reckon. Doctors might be a homogenous bunch - certain socioeconomic backgrounds and personality types are more likely to enter that profession than others. Liberal arts professors tend to be likewise sameish. I'm inclined to think that this sport is more catholic. The people I've met thus far are from a wide variety of backgrounds, from those cashed-up plumbers who appeared earlier in the thread to military types to engineers to retirees to college students etc. I love that about this sport. Cultures and personalities seem to vary a lot in the scuba community. Some will be prickly and combative. Some will be peacemakers. I read you, Matt, as one of the latter. That makes you a good guy in my books. But I'm partial to ornery iconoclastic bastards too.

I guess what I'm saying is yeah, I see it. I don't think it's a problem. I think in a heterogenous group that values competency and pragmatism and individuality over conformity you get this. I think the community here has standards of etiquette and tries to self-monitor them. I don't think any one-size-fits-all way of being will ever work here.

I think raising this sort of question is healthy and useful.

I think it's also fair to read your question as implicitly judgmental and a little patronizing. If you got noses out of joint, look to your stereotyping of instructors both in terms of attitude and socioeconomic class.

I think if the community got too lovey-dovey it would lose something. I think personal attacks and downright rudeness should be shot down when seen.

I think the moderators are doing an amazing job, and we all owe them thanks and beers. What they do ain't easy, and let this thread be a reminder of that. Despite it all, the cats seem to me largely well herded here, the occasional hiss and spit notwithstanding.

I think this place is healthily imperfect. Me likey.

Peace out.

Or don't.

Omnificently meaningless...... the OP was derisive, and his attitude makes those experienced people no longer bother(unless they are vested interests).

Last edited by a moderator:
Omnificently meaningless...... the OP was derisive, and his attitude makes those experienced people no longer bother(unless they are vested interests).

Nice to see another Brissie boy here. Hi! Pleased to meet you.

Sorry you found my thoughts meaningless. And, nah - I don't read him as flaming, at least not overtly. I think namecalling is closer to doing that. To me, his post seemed patronising, but I note he has apologised for that. We all have our bad days. I note you have been coming down pretty hard on this thread. You're maybe one of those experienced divers us noobs dont know how not to offend. Do you see the whole conversation as pointless? If so, why participate? I'm curious, because you seemed probably have a lot of insight to offer someone like me and I'm not sure I get why you're acting (it seems to me) quite hostile.

Personally I think Mantra's post is spot on ... and a great explanation of the dynamics behind internet conversation in general.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: Jax

Whoa...Pretty inflamatory without actually meeting the guy....attitude on internet discussion boards is incredibly hard to guage....YOU could be dead serious, You could be playing sarcastically for your own entertainment ( trolling), or you could be joking, assuming we would all know.....

I think the threads have had much less interesting in the last 3 months, and Beckwith has added some good topics for us to argue about ....which is what many visit scubaboard for :)

I agree with Mantra's assessment as well, and think this is an interesting discussion.

As a software engineer, I have similar discussions with colleagues about our users and how dumb they appear to be (with respect to using overly complicated software that I have written) even though they are brilliant in their respective fields.

I've seen personal attacks here on SB to the point it almost makes you want to stop posting. In fact this thread has brought out a few quips that are a little over the top. These types of responses are IMO what the OP has interpreted as the "bitterness" factor. As a relative newbie myself it does seem like more experienced divers are belittling the newbies and our lack of experience.

This is unfortunately true. I have been victimized myself for stating my opinions on alot of things. Most times I chalk it up to a lack of understanding on their parts and really attempt not to argue back. Its just not constructive to waste time on things when all they are doing is trolling (In many cases).

The best thing to do is what I do at work and thats let people ramble on as it really does not mean anything anyway. I have had bad arguments over Nitrox (Which really is neither here nor there because if a person wants to use it then use it if not then dont). I have had arguments over life saving situations which I really argued a tad too much and in the end accomplished nothing. The other party still had their opinion and I still had mine so all the wasted time and nothing was accomplished.

In short what I am saying is simply ask the question you need and sort through all the negative responses and respond to the good answers.

Not only do I think Mantra's post is fascinating (and coming from someone who has more than anecdotal familiarity with the subject), I think his response to ozzydamo is worthy of framing as a perfect example of how to deflect and defuse inflammatory board content. Hooray for Mantra!

Sometimes the arguing IS the point! Some people engage because it's entertaining - and some of us sit back and observe it like a train wreck, not sure when to jump in or if we'd only make it worse. But it's almost always informative, and I love learning more about diving. I hope that everyone is arguing in the spirit of entertainment and that we'd all still be thrilled to sit down and drink beer (or other beverages) while arguing some more. Scuba people can be pretty darned cool.

And for the record, I agree with mantra - and I LOVED the brilliant use of the word "catholic"! Kudos!! :)

Sometimes the arguing IS the point! Some people engage because it's entertaining - and some of us sit back and observe it like a train wreck, not sure when to jump in or if we'd only make it worse. But it's almost always informative, and I love learning more about diving. I hope that everyone is arguing in the spirit of entertainment and that we'd all still be thrilled to sit down and drink beer (or other beverages) while arguing some more.

Not all argument is polite. This is the point. Sometimes people are rude. Arguing is fine. Rudeness isn't.

There are 3 positions you can be in when someone posts something rude:
(1) The insulter
(2) The insulted
(3) An observer

Sure it's entertaining for the observers. Well, duh!

And sure it's entertaining for the insulter.

Not so entertaining for the insulted.

And the fact that the observers and the insulter would be willing to sit down for a beer with the insulted doesn't mean anything at all. The question is, would the insulted want to? I doubt it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom