Bizarre login "issue"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yesterday, I came to SB and got the unlogged-in version, with the "Register to get rid of this ad" box (which I see very infrequently since I've got Remember Me checked and I think IE is set remember my password, and IE with SB open is usually a permanent feature of my taskbar:dork2:) so I login, get the "Thanks for loging in, oreocookie" page and then get redirected to "Register to get rid of this ad" page. I try login in another 3 times with the same result then decide to click the Login Help button, which loads another page where lo and behold, I AM logged in.

This morning, I bring up SB again after some Windows updates closed my browser last night, and the same thing happens. I got redirected back to the login page. I took a poke into a subforum to see if I'm actually logged in, and yup, I am.

So why do I keep getting redirected to the login page? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it somewhat amusing that it might be a browser "cookie" problem given your username...

We sometimes see this when the SB cookies get corrupted. The solution is to delete them and log in again.

In IE8 if you go to Tools>Delete Browsing History you can delete every cookie easily - including non-SB ones that might track other sites you visit. So you'd lose any custom settings on those sites also with this method.

Another option is to go to Tools>Internet Options>click the Settings Button under Browsing History then View Files. This will allow you to just delete the SB cookies from the list. IIRC there's about 3 of them - all have Scubaboard in the name.

Log out from SB and delete them before logging back in. You may need to clear the "Remember Me" checkbox first also - then re-apply it later if this works.

Thanks. That seems to have fixed it. I guess Cookie Monster got loose in my browser. lol

So apparently the problem is not totally solved. I'm currently logged in on a computer at school. I've logged in from here before with no problems. I was using IE, and I would get to the "Thank you for logging in" redirect page, but it redirected back to the non-logged in page. I checked a sub-forum to see if I was actually logged in. nope. After getting the same thing four or five times, I gave up and tried Firefox. I logged in and got redirected back to the non-logged in page, though this time moving to a sub-forum showed I actually was logged in finally. What's going on here? It can't be a cookie problem again, since I've never used this specific computer and have never used Firefox for SB at school.
confused.gif

It is an error that I really can't fix at this time. It has to do with the forum home page for some reason. In just a few weeks we will upgrade the entire site, and if there is still an issue then I will look deeper into this. Thanks for your patience.

I have the same issue on my laptop. And yet, I am fine on the desktop 8 inches away. I finally deleted allllll the cookies and that seems to have fixed it. For about 10 minutes. Now the laptop cannot login again.

Thanks Howard. I'll just have to hope I can login with my laptop, otherwise I'll be stuck with SB mobile to post, which would be fun considering it doesn't always load the most up to date pages *eye roll*, but on the bright side, no ads. :D

Happening to me now. I wrote a few pms but no answer yet

i'm so glad i'm not the only one this is happening too. It's been going on for a week or two for me. But i figured out how to work around it. I log in, I get the page saying it's logging me in then the banner saying if i register then it will go away. But if I go and click on to new posts, I usually see my name up on the right hand side "welcome oceanbound". strange and annoying but i've learned to work around it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom