Black Coral Art in Roatan???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hopefully because the OP did "bring it up" folks (including the OP) that read these posts will be more educated about things like CITES, WEMS, and trade in ES wildlife. .

Yep, and if we click our shiny red shoes together three times we will be back in Kansas. Come on, What experienced diver, as many on SB and the OP do not already know about how bad the trade stuff is?? CITES. WEMS,??? The is no one in Honduras enforcement that is concerened. How many Visit Roatan and eat conch?? Conch harvesting is illlegal "except for research" Who watches whale wars? It is illegal but I can buy conch any month of the year in all the main grocery stores.. Thhere are lobster laws but often the grocery has undersized tais and they are always availble even out of season, so this is a Honduran issue but how many divers, how many who claim to want the best for the environment order lobster or conch for their meal?? Cruis ship visitors are even offered iguana which is also illegal, They are not endangered worldwide but there is actually a black iguana only known to the Islands, BUT Stupid tourists order iguana not thinking about that. The education needs to start way before trip planning, too many morons thnk it is all OK as long as you do not get caught, INCLUDING the theives that have no concern about the police. I hate to burst a bubble anyone had but all the illegal stuff can and will be done if there is a demand

We all know that if there is a demand there is a market. We may not be able to significantly influence things such as penalties or levels of enforcement in these developing countries, but we can sure influence demand.
Agreed!
Which is why I wrote this statement and hopefully people might be a little more educated in the choices they make. Unfortunately this problem isn't just isolated to Roatan, and it occurs everywhere. The state that I live in unfortunately has very liberal laws when it comes to the trade of wildlife parts and pieces, and I deal with it routinely. There are folks that have a blatant disregard for laws, including wildife laws, which is why I'll always job security. There are folks however, that are ignorant to these issues and a little education would go a long way. I can tell you that many of these cruise ship passangers watch the travel channel and see them collecting/eating Conch in other parts of the Caribbean and don't have a clue as to the laws or concerns on Roatan and wouldn't hesitate to eat Conch on the island and think nothing of it. In many developing areas, as is the case in Roatan, illegal harvest of wildlife isn't even on their radar as something they can or are willing address. The 64 miilion dollar question is how to influnce those that we can and decrease the demand.

RTBDiver - I think Midge started the thread not salth2owannabe, but I could be easily mistaken, could you check and direct the beating toward Midge if she is responsible.

slapping.gif

RTBDiver - I think Midge started the thread not salth2owannabe, but I could be easily mistaken, could you check and direct the beating toward Midge if she is responsible.

slapping.gif

Your right Mike,
Sorry for being mistaken, I got confused with all these folks citing laws, regulations, cites and such as if it mattered. I have done away with the post, Thanks for the heads up

....could you check and direct the beating toward Midge if she is responsible.

Ahem.... he.

You guys crack me up! :D
I appreciate all of your insights and personalites. With all of the group hug and personality training I've gotten over the years I've learned that my personality is best described as - Be Brief, be Bright, and be Gone! RTB I think you and I might be a lot alike in that department.

RTB---Please be rest assured that I did not start this thread to "start" things. I knew this was going to be a tread lightly subject to begin with. I have looked through the forums and havent seen this subject brought up, and was wondering where the gray area was. This thread has shown not just the gray market of black coral, but also conch, and out of season lobster. So I would like to say that I have learned many things, which was my goal to begin with. Laws have been posted, which helps with facts on the subject that are much appreciated. When there is something to learn these days, it helps to look on the internet forums, whether it has to do with cars, snowmobiles, etc. When I started diving last year I didnt know much about our water environment, or should I say didnt pay close attention. Now that I am a diver I have learned about the importance of the ocean, but like to look at things with an open mind. I eat shrimp, heck to say I love eating shrimp is a understatement, however now I know that I should look at where its coming from. Most of what I eat is farm raised in Thailand, I'm not sure if thats the way to go or not, but it sounds good. As for my "Prefer" comment, that was meant to mean that I wouldnt want to purchase even in a gray market, now that I know a little more, not that anyone is going to make me purchase anything. Is it wrong to be informed on subjects that we know little about, from different people??? I am glad I got on here after you deleted what I can only imagine was a personal attack on me. If you play nice, I'll play nice too, this is a internet community that I would like to be a part of for a long time. And yes I am a "HE"

RoatanMan--I will be sure to post a trip report not just on CCV, but all the aspects of the trip that are relevant. I may not be the best at spelling, but I do like to type. My dive gear is packed, and cloths are layed out already. After I figure out how much my bag weighs for this trip, I will head over to Fred Meyer or Sams Club and pick up some donation supplies to take along.

Shrimp from Thailand is sure to be farm raised, full of antibiotics, and generally anti-American. Wild caught gulf shrimp has a different impact on the environment, and tastes better too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom