Black Ice neck seal question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Armymutt25A

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I took my suit for a test dive in Troy Spring this weekend. My p-valve appears to not leak, but I've got a leak elsewhere. I believe I have the neck seal worn improperly. It's a neoprene seal with a smooth side on the outside and a cloth side inside. I have a feeling that it needs to be rolled inward in order to make a seal against the skin. It's never been trimmed and it's not exactly tight - I have a 17"+ neck.

Neoprene seals (at least mine and all that I've heard of) should be worn like a turtleneck sweater, only turned inside, rather than outside.

Thus, the seal you describe would be worn with the smooth side worn against the skin of your neck.

When you say like a turtle neck, do you mean multiple rolls to get it to a comfortable length, or just one roll?

Tuck or roll it inside. Smooth side against your skin, without any wrinkles ; folds or twists. You will need it to smooth out against your skin. It should not be too tight.

If you are still having trouble you should visit an experienced diver with thr suit.

See you topside! John

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll have to give it another shot this weekend, if I get a chance.

What has worked well for me is to always do the roll myself, and then have another diver verify that it looks good. That way I can get the feel of doing it without help, and learn from initial mis-rolls :)

Back
Top Bottom