• Apeks Black ice

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Aqualung Outlaw

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Aqualung Rogue

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking to buy a new bcd. I am currently working everyday conducting dsd’s and leading certified dives.

Which should I buy?
Apeks black ice
Aqualung Outlaw

I know the black ice is much better.
I had one of these a couple years ago but got stolen while working in Portugal.

Do I really need the best and spend all that money again?

I love the simplicity of the outlaw.
But do you think it is strong enough for day to day use?
Is there enough lift if I need to get another diver out of the water?

Any thoughts on this would really help

I am looking to buy a new bcd. I am currently working everyday conducting dsd’s and leading certified dives.

Which should I buy?
Apeks black ice
Aqualung Outlaw

I know the black ice is much better.
I had one of these a couple years ago but got stolen while working in Portugal.

Do I really need the best and spend all that money again?

I love the simplicity of the outlaw.
But do you think it is strong enough for day to day use?
Is there enough lift if I need to get another diver out of the water?

Any thoughts on this would really help
Where do you do your diving? Warm, temperate, cold? Outlaw has 25lb lift. Maybe add Rogue to your list with 35lb lift.

I’m diving in North Queensland.
Very warm water really

The rogue looks like a nice compromise

Considering that you're diving in warm water, I voted Outlaw. While the Outlaw and Rogue share many similar traits and modular nature, the Outlaw's larger wing is 25 lbs lift, while the smaller is 12 lbs lift. The Rogue is only available with 35 lbs lift. As a bonus, if you want the waistband pockets of the Rogue, they can be purchased separately and used on the Outlaw.

For DSD dives, you may very well want the extra lift capacity, but so you really need the 35 lbs of the Rogue? Maybe, but I feel that's where the decision is to be made between Outlaw and Rogue. (Otherwise, I'd pretty much say they dive the same...)

Full Disclosure: I dive an Outlaw myself in Philippine waters, and have the Rogue waistbands on my Outlaw. I currently use the 25 lb wing, but will be replacing it with the 12 lb as I find it easier to pack and clean, plus, I've never actually used more than half of my wing's capacity....

FWIW After I bought the Outlaw most of the other 'pros' (I'm still a DMC) at our LDS bought Rouges for travel. Partially for the extra lift and partially for the steel D rings and pocket (Outlaw has all webbing loops which can be a bit difficult to use, I added SS splitrings to key loops for easier use). They also do some travelling to cold water destinations diving drysuit and do some instructing on trips as well.

The Black Ice is a very popular rig with our pro's for teaching dives in drysuits here at home. Seems it's the first purchase of every new DM and Instructor. Great for local dives where travel space and weight isn't an issue.

My choice would be the Outlaw with both wings (which is what I bought). I'll be trying the 25' wing with my drysuit this spring now that I finally have a working drysuit (two trips back to Bare for leaks and alterations).

I have the 12' wing... super small and just enough to keep me afloat wearing a full 3mm suit and an AL80 in salt water. Wore it in the pool once with an HP100 and a shortie suit... couldn't establish positive bouyancy with no lead lol. For DM work I use the 25' wing so I can carry extra weight and be VERY buoyant on the surface for rescue demo's.

The one plus to the Rogue thought that I just remembered is you can get an orange wing slip cover from Aqulung that says INSTRUCTOR down one side. Extra protection for the wing and great visibility factor under water.

EDIT: According to the 2019 Aqua Lung Buyers guide the covers are for both the Outlaw and the Rogue. I'm guessing on the Outlaw they only fit the 25' wing somewhat properly.
Annotation 2020-03-03 080849.jpg

The one plus to the Rogue thought that I just remembered is you can get an orange wing slip cover from Aqulung that says INSTRUCTOR down one side. Extra protection for the wing and great visibility factor under water.
Also fits the Outlaw.

I stand corrected.
I have a blues one on my Rogue. It looks sharp, but does extend drying time for the BCD, and restricts access to the dump valves for servicing. Also a PITA to install it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom