Black Nudibranh???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Well, I just had my 11th straight dive with a new nudibranch!! Fine, some don't care but thats ok. Anyway, what I found was a pure black nudibranch! The only hint of another color was the white tips on it Rhinopores. Any guesses??

Yeah I saw a few of the same one. But I could do one better for you. I got shots of one free swimming on the surface. The pic sucks but how often do you get to see that?

Got one hiding out under a bridge too.

Chad, I'm having problems with yours. My first guess is some sort of arminid out cruising for a tasty sea pen but I'm not sure. Did you see any sign of gills? Are they retracted?

Trinigordo, you've got two different animals. I don't know the first one - not enough detail but the second is a sea hare most likely in the genus Aplysia. Where was it taken?

LeslieH,

I did get a shot where it appeared the dorsal, posterior gills where sucked in. Since it was pure black it was a little difficult to take a picture of!!! Anyway, from what I saw it was a nudibranch with gills, but the color of the gills is still in question. From what I could see they were black too!

Chad_Ordelheide:
Anyway, what I found was a pure black nudibranch! The only hint of another color was the white tips on it Rhinopores. Any guesses??

Chad_Ordelheide:
Anyway, from what I saw it was a nudibranch with gills, but the color of the gills is still in question. From what I could see they were black too!

Totally guessing here... Dendrodoris nigra or Dendrodoris fumata.

Both of the above species have colour forms which are often completely black except for the white tips of their rhinophores.

Dendrodoris nigra seems to be the closest match. As always, thanks a million!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom