Black Water and Big Animals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LioKai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
OK Brian here it is.

Let me start by saying that I've been doing black water dives for a about 5 years or more and I have personally never seen any big animals on the dive, but lets face it, we are drifting as much as 3 miles in one hour out beyond the 1000 fathom line. The same area that the big game fishing charter boats call "The Grounds". Well, actually I try to stay a little south of "the grounds", but sometimes we drift somewhat farther north than I would like.

The first dive was a Crepuscular dive, which was awesome. Butterflies on parade! Then we headed off shore for the black water. By the 20 minute mark on the dive we had already drifted north of "Pine Trees" area (2 miles north) on a freight train current line that moved us about 5 miles in one hour. Had 4 of us underwater. Christy and I had been on the dive multiple times, but this was the first for Dave and Colby. At 30 minutes Colby is flashing his light at me and jesturing with his hands that something big was below me. I laughed it off thinking it was the 10' long chain salp that had drifted past the group a moment ago. Then he pointed above and to the left of the group. I pointed my video lights in the same direction and caught a glimpse of a dark blue mass. It was a Broad Bill (swordfish) looking for squid in all of our lights. His body had multiple wounds from cookie cutter sharks, a common issue with Broad Bills. It moved calmly around us for a few moments as the four of us grouped together. Then it changed direction and stopped in front of us, facing us with his (or her) head turned to the side with a large black eye looking directly at us. Calmly it moved toward us swinging his head and 3' long bill from side to side looking at us with both eyes. The body (not including the bill) was about 5 feet long and the bill was way longer than my arm. It cleared a path right through the group. In fact I had to move my arms above my shoulders so I didn't come in contact with the bill or the body. I tried to shoot a picture but it was too close. I would say that inches away from my chest was TOO CLOSE. As it passed beyond the field of light and vision it was gone and did not return. The entire incounter took less then 2 minutes.

I checked the three divers to make sure they were all OK with what just occured, and everyone was fine. I asked each of them if they wanted to go up and all three forcefully said NO. In fact they were so excited that they spent the next half hour giving each other high-fives and shouting into their regulators. By the time the four of us calmed down, the hour was up and the dive was over.

I won't deny it, I was scared. That bill was HUGE!! I had a tough time trying to hold the camera still for the rest of the dive. After I got home I couldn't go to sleep. I just spent the hours reliving the incredible experience.

Matthew

How would you see anything in black water? :wink:

LioKai:
Let me start by saying that I've been doing black water dives for a about 5 years or more and I have personally never seen any big animals on the dive

I bet you have "replay" going for awhile....

Love that! you were so lucky.

Im glad you shared with everyone, awsome story. Sure would have been nice to get pics.

What an incredible tale!

I was going to say what odd behavior for the fish. But how would I know? I guess I expect that all fish would be scared away from our bubbles.

This has me wondering about their eye sight. The moving it's head back and forth. Maybe it just couldn't believe it's eyes! It went back to tell it's school about this incredible sighting of strange sea creatures.

Too, too way cool.

:11:....wow......like just wow...how awesome is that? :11:................wow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom