Blackbeard Cruises for non-divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think long and hard if i was not a diver

The boats are reported to have good food and competent crews, and the cost is at the low end for a liveaboard, but.....

The space aboard is limited, and most of the time is spent motoring at low speed - while the sites are for divers nothing says you can't snorkel

As you might surmise reading between the lines Blackbeard is not an option (mostly because of the lack of space aboard) I've considered, but many like them - I would think long and hard if I was not a diver, but my comments stand for any dedicated liveaboard - they are not "cruse ships" and its impossible to be all things to all people.

Just my 2 cents.

Enough to do? I'm not sure there is anything to do if you don't dive, except to entertain yourself with a book or work on your tan. Maybe snorkel if you're someplace suitable.

This is somewhat true of any dedicated liveaboard that schedules 5 dives a day. But on more upscale liveaboards there are at least a variety of comfortable places to hang like a sundeck, lounge, your cabin, maybe a few other corners so a non-diver who is truly happy vegging out for a week might be ok. There's usually a way to watch movies in the lounge and/or your cabin. Some of the boats have hot tubs. They have nice enough dining rooms so that sitting around chatting with people with a bottle of wine in the evening is an option, and there are sometimes things like sideshows in the evening. AFAIK Blackbeards has none of that, doesn't have the space for any of that.

A couple of years ago we had a non-diving wife go with us and she said she had a good time, but would never do it again! We had great weather and she did swim and snorkel at most stops, but the deck room is limited and not much entertainment to speak of! The Aqua Cat is a different story and have been on a number of times with non-divers who realy did have a good time!

I've dove Blackbeard's 3 times and am going on my 4th in Feb 2009. They ask that you enter the water with a buddy or at least a small group, but once your in the water the dive is up to you. Blackbeard's does not routinely put a divemaster in the water unless you request one specifically. Conducting your dive is up to you. They are there to assist you entering and exiting the water, watching for problems on the surface and getting you back to your gear position and will help out any way they can. It's up to you to conduct your dive in a responsible manner. I dove several of my dives solo when my partner's decided to sit out a dive and never had a thing said to me. They are not the scuba Nazi's. If you ask, almost anyone on the crew is willing to dive with you, in fact they beg at times asking if someone needs a partner as every trip I've been on they really seem to like being there. I still have some spots on the boat Feb 21-28 if you want to come along with a group.

Steve,

You said that your group trip is Feb. 21 - 28. Is this correct?

To me, one of the drawbacks of Blackbeard is that their "week" is shorter than others (6 days vs. 7) and they target 3-4 dives per day, rather than 4-5. When I take into account the reduced number of total dives (due to one less day and one less dive per day), not to mention the more spartan boat, I'm not sure it really is the most dives for the money.

Having said that, I'm also in the greater Baltimore area and I considered your trip.....problem is I'm already going on a Nekton trip leaving Jan. 31. I see you're going on a CE II trip in May. I'm gonna give that one some thouight.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom