Blackbeard Cruises?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
The Diving Mecca of Dorthy & Toto....Kansas
Mr Scubabunny and I recently met a dive instructor who used to work for Blackbeard Cruises. He says it is a great way to get in a lot of dives in a 7 day trip.

I have checked out the website and the only thing that concerns me is the accomodations are a little close. They describe it on the website as camping at sea. I like camping. My husband and I met in the Air Force and have spent our fair share of time in communal tent living in the Middle East so I wouldn't say we are antisocial but would like to hear some real Blackbeard experiences from satisfied or unsatitsfied customers.

Rodales rated them pretty high in their Reader Poll for what that is worth.

We are thinking about going around the Christmas/New Year's time frame.

Thanks,
KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

Scuba-bunny,

There are several live-aboard companies and it all depends on where you want to go. I have no experience with Blackbeard, but can tell you that the Aggessors are great. Peter Hughes' are good, too.

The only trouble with live-aboards is that you are close to your fellow divers for a 5-6 days, really close. Also you when you are not in the deep blue you are confined to the hot tub, the common room, the dining room or your own room--and there is not a lot of room. But, dive frequently, you can! Four dives a day is very common, depending on depth.

If you will let me know specifically where you want to go, I will send you the references I have.

Joewr

I too am interested in hearing experiences. I enjoy sailing as well and this would be a neat way to combine two of my favorite past times.

And KC, this price looks pretty reasonable too for a live aboard with all that diving, don't it? And I'm like you...Camping is okay, and diving on the cattleboats is good by me to. Would rather base the quality of the UNDERwater activities versus cabin creature comforts. Just give me good food, good air, and a good reef, and I'm very happy.

The Lovely Young Kat & I have been on Blackbeard's twice, both over the New Year's week - and we had a grand time. Great diving, great crew, plenty of good food... tight quarters... wear your smile and be a good neighbor and you'll love it.
Rick
And, of course, the fact that you can take two or three Blackbeard's weeks for the price of one on any of the others ain't bad, either.

But haven't got around to it. Have other destinations higher on the food chain.

Didn't Confucious want say - "you get what you pay for"? Err, maybe it wasn't him, but what the heck, it is a livaboard and you are there to dive I think soooo... :peace:

TM, I think you forgot "Good Grief" :wink:

KC_Scubabunny

My Wife and I did a Blackbeards trip in 95. We shared a small cabin (we had the upper double bunk, they had the lower) with a couple from Canada. The living conditions were cramped but the diving, crew & food were good. My Wife has a problem with feeding the fish if the boat isn't stable enough. It's a good trip for the money.

We like the NEKTON Pilot boat better. Good diving. Great cabin, food, crew, BUT it's about twice the price.

Ken

Hi KC Scubabunny -

I'll be interested in what you find out as my hubby and I have also thought a live aboard would be great except were a little concerned about tight quarters - we also like camping (actually we're going this weekend) but for a diving vacation, hoping for a little more.

By the way, we also live in KC - Overland Park - if you decide to do a live aboard, let us know, maybe we can join you from here. Most of our friends don't dive so it's been hard to get our friends to do trips with us :-(

The Dive Shop (here in KC off of I-35 and 75th St.) is organizing a group trip for Blackbeard's - I think it's next summer - I think their website is kcdiveshop.com - you might check it out if you don't go at the end of the year.

We are headed to Cozumel Sept. 1 for the first time - can't wait!!!

Lucia

Lucia,

Did you say Cozumel? Well, I always tell folks heading that direction to try the French Quarter for a meal. Absolutely great food! Cajun, seafood, and Mexican--all of 'em.

Also, if you are shopping after diving, be sure to go to Robert's to look at the black coral carvings. His are absolutely exquisite and even if you do not want to buy any thing, they are a treat to look at. Go to the back of the shop to see his best underwater art. There is a splendid toadfish that is magnificent. Splendid toadfish are found only in Cos and are quite lovely.

Finally, if you are planning a night dive, try Chankanab. It is the local marine park and we have had some of our best night dives there. Most dive shops will take you there.

Joewr

I think I've read you recommend French Quarter somewhere before??? I'm not much on shopping but we'll keep Robert's in mind! And, night diving is a definite possibility - I've only done it twice before (once in Cancun and once in Honduras) but I guess it's different wherever you go.

Thanks!

Lucia,

(1) You are correct about the French Quarter.

(2) Robert's is not "shopping". It is art--and for a scuba diver, I think his art is fantastic. I truly believe you will enjoy seeing the carvings of sharks, rays, lobsters, etc. They are a joy to behold.

(3) Not all night dives are created equal. And there are not guarantees, but the most fabulous night dive we have ever done was on Coz. I just could not believe how much we saw. And I have never seen anywhere else such beautiful octopuses. I mean they put on a light show that would make Lasarium jealous. One fellow went from gecko green to OSHA orange and around the visible spectrum in a way that I will never forget.

Have fun!

Joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom