Blackbeards 3/31-4/4, Whats Different With Freeport Departures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steve from maine

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Divers,
Just booked the "long weekend" 3/31-4/4 Blackbeards trip, anyone else you going?
I've been on many "long weekend" Blackbeards trips from Miami, but this will be my first with a Freeport departure. Can anyone discuss what is different with Freeport departures (besides not having to do the crossings, are the general dive site's different?,) do they go to other areas then when they did the long weeekends out of Miami? Thanks!

I was out with Blackbeard's 12/28/05 - 1/04/06. I did not experience the Gulf crossing as we were on the first trip out of the new digs. When we arrived with our LDS instructor, flagged a cab and then realized that the driver was not familiar with Blackbeards. 13 Blackbeards Place to be exact. I figure it was a 10 minute struggle with the map we had printed. Upon arrival at the house, we were met by some fine folks. Moved our gear close to the boats, 100 feet from the house, and enjoyed a BBQ hosted by the staff. between noon and 3pm we were greeted, analyzed, fed, loaded, relaxed and set sail right on time. We sailed on The Morningstar with G-man, Drew, Red, Ran,Tom,Kevin and boat mascot Leslie. The boat cruised through the canal, hit open water in 20 minutes, cruised for about 40 and set anchor at Shark Junction, 45 feet. Settled in with a cup of Rum Punch after that and crashed at 8pm. 14 hours, 100+ miles and we woke up near Andros Island. The rest was a trip I will always remember.

All in all I think that the crew is pumped about the move and divers will not miss the crossing or waiting for customs at Miami. Since we cleared customs at the airport on both ends, waiting time was minimized.

Have a great time and if you make it to the gingerbreads, you will love Darkstar and Swisscheese!

As a long time customer of Blackbeards famous "long weekend" trips I am wondering if I can squeeze anymore diving out of a long weekend trip departing from Freeport compared to past trips out of Miami?
Also, on a long weekend trip are the actual dive sites different then when we departed from Maimi (I am guessing they are the SAME due to evryone wanting to do the shark dive and the crews desire to hook up for a night in Bimini). Thanks in advance for any insights!

I am scheduled to go on the week long Blackbeard's trip in late May. This will be my first liveaboard and I am looking forward to the trip. Have fun on yours and give us a trip report

Back
Top Bottom