Blackbeard's Cruises offers shark dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
I guess I'll cross Blackbeards off my list of potential future dives.
Dr. Bill
Good idea.
More room for the rest of us.
(It wasn't a bad troll, but not a great one, either...)
Rick

Dr Bill Lot's more to a Blackbeard Cruise than 1 shark dive....

Rick Murchison:
Good idea.
More room for the rest of us.
(It wasn't a bad troll, but not a great one, either...)
Rick

drbill:
I guess I'll cross Blackbeards off my list of potential future dives.
It's just the one spot at Bull Run where they do the feedings Bill. Highly localized, minimal impact to the surrounding area. And the passengers have to go spear their own fish ahead of time at a snorkeling site, so the sharks aren't eating anything "unnatural". It's nothing like the ops out of San Diego that chum for great whites, or those glamfests that used to go on in the Florida Keys.

As shark feeding in the wild goes, the Blackbeard operations are pretty tame and low footprint. I really like that we have to catch our own food for the sharks, using worn out bahamian slings, on snorkeling gear. An hour of work got me one measly bar jack, that fell off my tip and got stuck under a rock. I nearly had a heart attack retrieving it.

Just not a fan of shark feeding unless it is for a compelling scientific reason.

Dr. Bill

I have to agree with Dr. Bill.

There is no need to have sharks associate food with boats and divers. In S.Africa, there are only 8 shark diving operators in Gansbay and 2 in False bay. They do chum but they are very careful not to let a shark get a hold of any food.

South of Durban it's full Bull Sharks, they call them Zambezi down there. It's also full of Raggies and there is no need to chum. Sightings are almost guaranteed and dives are 25 Eurobucks a shot. There is always the occasional Tiger or great white to spice things up

No cage either......

Well, y'all decided to take the bait anyway, eh?
Ok, I've started the great fish feeding thread over in the Marine Ecology section of the board so we can give the discussion broader exposure and not trash the travel section with non-travel stuff. Please take the shark-feed arguments over there.
Thanks
Rick

robertmackey:
Happy Diving!
Sparky

Ps. Be sure to check out the Sparky sauce. My favorite and well known drink made in the evening time when the sun is sinking low and all the divers are on board for the night.

Sparky!

Karen and I dived with the Sea Exploder on your trip returning on Xmas Eve last year. We had a great time and your sauce (or should I say sauces) are awesome!

Steve

We just came back from doing a blackbeards cruise on the Sea Explorer and we did the Bull Run. A boat was just there feeding them and so when we got there they werent too hungry. But that location and the 7-7-7 location 300 yards away are beautiful sites to explore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom