Blackbeard's Shipwreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwvanno:
As a diver used to Florida, I had this same question.

The pages I've read, and the people I've talked to from NC say that the water temp in October will be around 80 degrees F. Warm enough, even for me. :)

Last year, during the Fall 2004 investigation (Oct 3-8), the water was in the mid 70's. That's normal for that time of the year in that location. It all depends on if you're north or south of the gulf stream, the farther north you go the colder it is along the coast.

The visibilty was at best 10 feet during high tide, and close to zero during low tide.

The water will probably be in the low to mid 70's, as it is right of the coast, and is not in the gulf stream. It maybe 2 late 2 be telling you this, but just read the forum!

Couldn't you just dive it off your own boat? or what your saying is the numbers are private?

- Jared

Hey Jared:

The wreck or what's left of it is clearly marked. But Marine Fisheries is out full force and the US Coast Guard at Fort Macon is within eye shot, so claiming you are just curious to what the buoys are just won't cut it. Also, there is usually someone on the wreck, who has permission of course, and they would surely question you on your intentions. Sightseeing would not be a good response.

And finally, while I have not been directly to the site (you will pass it on your way out to the local wrecks), I hear it's nothing to write home about aside from the, "I dove the QAR!" When I went through my University's Scientific Diver Program, my instructors gave me the lowdown. A neat piece of history- undoubtedly but the dive of a lifetime? Nah, not even for an amateur history nut like me. There are artifacts to be had but not for just any sticky fingers. It is history and should be treated as such.

Good luck and if you're going to try it, think black. Stealthy. :crafty:

With kind regards,
Thomas

I just completed the QAR Dive Down program last week. My dad and I decided at the end of 2008, after reading an article in Dive Training Magazine about the QAR program, that we had to do this (we are dive buddies who are both history buffs and love archaeology in specifically, but I am enrolled at ECU's Maritime Studies program for the fall of 2010 to pursue a Masters Degree in Maritime Studies/Nautical archaeology so it is right up our alley).

If anyone would like to hear particulars, I can give them to you, but if you are planning to do this yourself, I don't want to give it all away :wink:

What I will tell you is that, given my background and interests, this experience was completely worth the money spent. There were some people who were there more for the dive and less for the information provided about the history, but I guess that is to be expected. They do require that you be an Advanced Open Water Diver, which was something my father and I were working on in the months leading up to the dive, but, as I said, it was completely worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom