Blackbird Caye Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife did a review of Blackbird Caye Resort resort on Trip Advisor so I thought I would put a copy here since we used SB for much of our homework and found only limited info here.

Diving services.
Outstanding. The principle Dive Master, Cardinal, is among the best DMs we have ever had over our many years of diving in the Caribbean. He was extremely safety conscious and courteous, and he explained all dives extremely well, catering to the needs of all divers. He has a sincere desire to preserve the reef and to ensure that everyone had a good time while diving safely. Eli and Emric were great DMs as well, although we didn't spend as much time with Emric. Thanks SO much to Eli for saving our diving vacation by changing our first stages of our regulators - we have noted to never leave home without the DIN/yoke converters again!
The dive shop looked after all of our dive gear other then on the very first dive where they wanted to ensure all divers could put their own gear together and had tested it for themselves. On each dive we were allowed 50 minutes, and then did our safety stop making each dive close to one hour. Because each dive spot was usually only a few minutes boat ride away from the resort we were able to come back to the resort between dives, which was outstanding. On the dives we saw lots of sea life including turtles, large fish such as groupers, sting and eagle rays, many moray eels out of the hiding areas, and a nurse shark. The night dive was wonderful on which we were able to see an octopus, several toad fish, crab as well as a variety of other night life.

Our room was extremely clean and maid service was provided twice per day. We had a duplex unit and would ask for the same again. We never heard the guests in the other half.

The menu was superb. We often find that we overeat or eat all of the wrong things when we travel, but the food at Blackbird was always so healthy and so delicious that we ate without guilt and always had plenty of variety. It was great to have the healthy choices, and it was just another example of the thought that goes into the well-run organization of the resort.
Breakfast and lunch were buffet style with a good variety to chose from along with fresh fruits and juices.
There was always a choice of two entrees for dinner or you could have a combination of both choices. Snacks were provided between meals at 10 am and at happy hour at 5 pm.

The manager, Paul, has only been at Blackbird for a few weeks, yet his energy and sincerity made everyone feel very welcome and relaxed.
I think the thing that impressed us the most was the tremendous attitude at the resort. The resort is very small with only about 18 rooms in total, and the staff were all extremely friendly. The atmosphere was perfect for allowing all of the guests to quickly get to know each other as well as the front line staff, resulting in a quick bond forming between everyone.
My only complaint is that I wish the Blue Hole trip was included in the Dive Package. It is very expensive, $240 each so we chose not to do it, although all who went loved it. The blue hole dive itself was not the main attraction but more the two other dives of the day as well as the visit to the bird sanctuary.

A few final points: We did not experience any mosquitoes. Each room has its own small safe; we felt very secure on the resort and never felt that we needed to have locked doors or use the safe provided for our electronics/camera gear. There are many kayaks available so that no one was ever left waiting for the opportunity to take a trip out to the nearby reef to snorkel or to just enjoy the area.
All in all, we had an excellent stay at Blackbird Caye Resort.

**first post on SB** :)

Thank you for the great review! I am a new diver and am staying there in June. Can't wait! May I ask a couple questions?

1. Can you take a kayak out and then snorkel without having to worry about losing the kayak? (This might be a silly question, but I've never actually snorkeled!) I went right into diving, completed OW a couple weeks ago and am doing AOW this weekend.

2. Can you do a trip with the 2nd/3rd dives they do after the Blue Hole without actually doing the Blue Hole? I *may* do a deep diver specialty before June but most likely I am probably not going to feel comfortable enough to do a dive that advanced and my boyfriend/other friends will probably not be AOW so couldn't do the dive at all. I know we could just snorkel at BH but was curious if you can get the 2nd/3rd dives which I hear are spectacular without having to do the BH first from Blackbird. Maybe if they didn't have enough interest in BH, but did have interest in the rest of the standard trip they would just take us to the other dives/lunch, etc.

Hi Wineaux

Yes good questions. Here are our thoughts.

1. We did not snorkel but we believe others did snorkel from a kayak. We suspect they tied it off somewhere or snorkeled with the toe rope.

2. Your idea of snorkeling instead of doing the BH is very good. The snorkelers said they enjoyed the BH area. It is a very deep dive. The second and third dive are likely the most impressive of the dives. They saw a few sharks in one of the dive and they all loved it.

We do an AI in Jamaica every September that offers free diving. We are moving to Cozumel in Feb/Mar of 2014 and are wondering if we should book our Sept 2014 trip to Jamaica or not. (Book now and get the early bird special of $300 resort credit).

After reading your trip report I am thinking Belize might be a better choice. No airfare as we can drive down to Chetumal, Mexico in about 5 hrs; so I am assuming Belize City would be maybe another 2 hours. That means no airfare so this trip is about the same price.

It sounds like you had a great time and I love the idea of 3 dives a day. Now I wonder about being isolated like this or staying in San Pedro on Ambergris Key.

What type of room did you stay in? Also were you okay with only 2 choices at dinner?

Hmmm. More to think about

Betty

We are going to Blackbird Caye next month on the dive package. One of their websites says Nitrox is free. The other under Caye resorts says it is an extra cost. Do you know which is correct? Also is their Nitrox installation up and running. Thx

I didn't see a response on the Nitrox question. Does any one know if they have it and if there is a charge?

this looks like a pretty fun place, considering blackbird or the aggressor. Any thoughts on choosing between these two?

They do have nitrox, I can't remember if it was more though. If you did a dive package I do believe it is included. I loved this place. We had the mid range cabin, #9 I believe. A one bedroom with a seating area, but not a separate bedroom/seating area. I would recommend rooms 8 and up, I liked that end of the resort.

Food was great, if you have a dietary issue, let them know ahead of time and they will go out of their way to accommodate you. We had one person how didn't eat red meat, another who didn't eat seafood and was lactose intolerant. They didn't feel their meals were any less delicious. Bring as much water as you can or one of those drinking bottles with a filter for days when the desalination isn't 100%. You can also buy water there.

Diving was great. Having the dive shop on site and only people diving with people on the island with you was nice. We left our stuff on the boat after every dive. The snorkeling was awesome too, ask to go see the sandy area with the starfish on your way back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom