blacking of the eyes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beboandles

Contributor
Reaction score
this may seem like a crazy question.
after i dive,i get black under my eyes.I have not be able to figure this out.
I feel no discomfort whats so ever.It happens under all circumtances.In salt water and fresh.At depths from 27 ft to 80 ft.I have even used different mask and end up with the same result.I know this may be crazy but figured if anyone had a clue to the cause of this,they could be found on the board.

Do you equalize your mask?

Or perhaps a sinus problem. Maybe minor enough that you don't really feel it but just bad enough to cause a problem. Maybe have your Dr. take a look up there and see whats going on.

Ken

Maybe dive shallower than 27 or deeper than 80?????

Can't imagine what's going on other than mask squeeze.

Older people with a more permanent kind of black discoloration under or around their eyes suffer from a condition that contracts the capillaries in that area. They are treated with heat and drugs that re-dilate the capillaries. The increased blood flow gets rid of the black.

Any chance this is from cold water and poor circulation? It might just be that.

JB

Beboandles:
this may seem like a crazy question.
after i dive,i get black under my eyes.I have not be able to figure this out.
I feel no discomfort whats so ever.It happens under all circumtances.In salt water and fresh.At depths from 27 ft to 80 ft.I have even used different mask and end up with the same result.I know this may be crazy but figured if anyone had a clue to the cause of this,they could be found on the board.

How long does it take to go away?

My guess is that it's mask squeeze. Try exhaling thru your nose sveral times during the dive.

thanks for all info so far and in response:
1)I do not wear my mask tight.
2)it usually goes away after about the 2nd day after a dive.
3) I really cant answer about any sinus problem
4) The 1st thing that I thought about was mask squeeze also.(my wife also just noticed that it looks like a busted blood vessel on my lower rt eye).
This brings up more questions for me.As I stated ,I never feel any discomfort,when I feel pressure from my mask I exhale through my nose.Could this be a case like equalizing ears where I need to do it often whether or not I feel any discomfort?

Back
Top Bottom