BlackStar Lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apparently not.

Ordered. I guess I will see.

That's too bad, after seeing your post, I am curious too.

Would you mind sharing your experience once you get to use it? I love in the Philippines, so I usually get dive stuff hand carried by friends traveling back and forth. Doesn't leave a lot of room for trial and error LOL.

Good luck with your new light!

Bingo. Light arrived today, and it is in fact the OrcaTorch D500+.

Looks like a nice light, good size and weight, build quality looks good. Nice and bright on high, and medium looks brighter than I expected as well. I will be trying it out on Sunday in the St Lawrence with dives on the Keystorm and the Vickery. My existing go-to light is the DRIS shorty, so we will see how it stacks up.

Awesome! Thanks for the update, keep us posted!

The price point is pretty attractive, especially with the upgraded battery capacity. I may go for it also, depending on your experience this weekend. Thanks gcarter

:cheers:

Bingo. Light arrived today, and it is in fact the OrcaTorch D500+.

Looks like a nice light, good size and weight, build quality looks good. Nice and bright on high, and medium looks brighter than I expected as well. I will be trying it out on Sunday in the St Lawrence with dives on the Keystorm and the Vickery. My existing go-to light is the DRIS shorty, so we will see how it stacks up.
I have the 1K Shorty too, interested in your feed back about your new toy,D500+, keep posted, thanks.

Great day on / under the St Lawrence. To 111 FFW on the Vickery, 112 FFW on the Keystorm. Light met expectations. Comfortable in the soft glove, not nearly as heavy on the hand as the shorty. Vis was a bit worse than normal, but the hot spot in the beam provided some good punch, easily as good as the shorty. Found that the medium setting was more than adequate when we dropped to the stern on the both boats, as it got quite dark. On the Vickery it was almost night dark on the rudder / under the stern given the proximity to the rock and the angle of the sun. The Keystorm wasn't quite so dark on the bottom, but certainly not bright at that depth. Either way, I like the availability of that setting and the extended burn time it gives you.

My only quibble is the fastening strap on the soft glove packaged with it. It is a bit on the short side and barely adequate for my hands using thin work gloves (I wear XXL gloves). I am not sure it will be adequate when using my 5mm or 7mm gloves.

Popped the batteries in the charger when I got home. I used mine more than my son ** , and my battery was @ 3.8v, his @ 4.0v. 414 mAh later, his is up to 4.15v, 442 mAh on mine has brought it to 4.0v. We'll see how much to full, but certainly indications are that the burn times should be more than adequate for me.

103 total minutes on the two dives with my light on probably 75 - 80 of those minutes, probably 90% of that on high.Being able to easily turn it off while in the glove when not needed was a welcome change as well i.e. going down and coming up the line.

Both my son and I are happy with the lights.

** Neglected to mention that I had ordered one for each of us

gcarter, thank you so very much for your follow up. Sounds like a good value to me, I'll make the leap and get one. It will take some time for me to receive it (whenever I have a friend traveling out this way), but I will try to add my feedback when I get to use it.

Thanks again! :cheers:

Final charge values, mine took 1710 mAh to full, my son's 923 mAh to full. Seems fairly consistent with the rated times, perhaps slightly better.

upload_2018-8-20_8-19-24.png

Back
Top Bottom