Blacktip is Cave Ready.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
It took me about 10 cave dives to finally get this Blacktip Tec DPV cave ready in terms of rigging, trim and buoyancy.
  • Nose Cone weighs 6.22 pounds
  • Tube without batteries weighs 6.8 pounds
  • Tube with batteries weighs 11 pounds
  • Tail section weighs 11.5 pounds
  • Total Weight is 28.72 pounds.
In the cave, in fresh water the DPV is trimmed slightly nose down and slightly negatively buoyant.

The rigging was changed as seen in the below images:

DPV Carry.jpg

DPV Tow Strap.jpg

BT-Nose.jpg

Blacktip Review

Attachments

• DPV Tow Strap.jpg
    DPV Tow Strap.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 54
I notice no significant buoyancy change between the surface and 100 ffw.

What is the purpose off the blue straps/connecting strap with rings? I haven't seen that tow line configuration before, what are the advantages/disadvantages?

What is the purpose off the blue straps/connecting strap with rings? I haven't seen that tow line configuration before, what are the advantages/disadvantages?
The rigging on the tube is for swimming with the scooter through restrictions when you cannot be on the trigger giving you something to hold on to. Ergonomically much better than the stock strap which is 180 degrees off.

The tow strap blue line is knotted to allow different tow line lengths by simply moving the double ender to a different knot. The scooter can be tied to your harness waist belt D-Ring with this same strap while the nose cone strap can be clipped to a shoulder D-Ring on the harness. Or Vice-Versa if you want to better protect the shroud while carrying the scooter through longer restrictions or anytime for a longer swim if you don't want to tie it to your butt D-Ring and bang around the cave damaging the cave and the scooter.

The stock strap just did not work well for me or my DPV cave students.

I thought you said jock strap ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Magnificent!

I am saying the job on the scooter is, Magnificent!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom