Blackwater diving for non-photographers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wKkaY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've recently come across the term blackwater diving and the photos taken during those dives look pretty cool.

Is it worth experiencing as a non-photographer? I can't tell whether creatures in those dives can be appreciated using torchlights, or whether they fleet past quickly and can only be captured on camera with strobes.

While the vast majority of my friends who regularly participate in blackwater dives offered by a few local commercial dive operators are very enthusiastic photographers or videographers, it is not uncommon for divers with no desire to make images to join these charters for a few trips.

Most of the marine life-forms encountered on these dives are very small, frequently animals in their larval state, so while you may occasionally encounter some large animals, the major appeal for photographers and videographers is the dazzling array of wondrous life. This makes for some very challenging imaging, but many of the resulting stills and video clips are extremely impressive. Keep in mind that many of the still images that you’ve likely seen are of tiny subjects which often comprise only a small percentage of a full frame. Details that are not clearly visible to a diver are often observed in full when reviewing an enlarged image.

Some subjects are unfazed by or even attracted by a diver’s lights, and others will tolerate being illuminated for a brief period before zipping off into the darkness. Experience will allow a patient photographer to alter his or her approach to various subjects. For example, in my experience many species of squid are more tolerant of a light with a red filter as opposed to pure white light.

While the photography can be extremely challenging, the dives themselves are among the easiest, most pleasant ones I’ve ever made. Simply drifting along in very deep water at night is perhaps the closest I’ll ever come to approximating the sensation of unpowered flight, and is even more pleasant during the summer when the local water temperature is warm and soothing. If you pay attention to the dive briefing, monitor your depth, gas, and time properly, and keep your eyes open, you may enjoy a spectacular experience.

Blackwater dives are not usually what most people would call “action packed,” and some nights prove more bountiful than others, but they do provide a glimpse into a fascinating aspect of the underwater world, and I’d most enthusiastically suggest that you give one a try.

Thanks for the detailed reply OceanEyes! I'll definitely consider if the resort I'm going to next month offers it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom