BLADEFISH Sea Jets - A Completely Different Approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last edited:
As soon as Bladefish removes their ridiculous speed claims I'll stop objecting, pretty simple.

Bladefish 5000 | Bladefish

Until then I'll be here........

Tobin

Yeah..that seems to make you pretty angry LOL It's Marketing Like the way the XYZ regulator if the top rated best breathing reg ever! (tho you and i know the average diver could never tel the difference between it and another brand) Let me know if interested and i'll provide you with like a million more examples of marketing that may possibly stretch the truth :shocked2:.

Personally, think it's got tons of power for it's size-I must say it's moves me along very fast when I'm snorkeling-not as much with tanks but still does the job fine. I'm usually hunting or scoping out areas anyway and rarely even use it on 3rd speed.

You should really try one-I bet you'd be surprised. It only weighs 10 pounds-has tiny footprint-amazes me ever time I use it. And beyond simple-pretty unheard of in the scuba industry.

For example, I tossed one in my carry on-flew down to Fla., rented a few tanks and hit the 2nd and 3rd reef at Lauderdale By the Sea. Had a total blast-tank of air lasted forever-and didn't even feel the current. Also, the Blade makes a terrific platform for a camera for pov shots on the fly. I mounted a Panasonic DMC TS2 on mine and got some cool footage. That's the BladeFish in a nutshell.

There are lots of good DPVs on the market(I have most of them in my garage) and the BladeFish 5000 fits into the pack as the compact, simple, dependable and fun choice.

Yeah..that seems to make you pretty angry LOL It's Marketing

No, it's lying.

Like the way the XYZ regulator if the top rated best breathing reg ever! (tho you and i know the average diver could never tel the difference between it and another brand) Let me know if interested and i'll provide you with like a million more examples of marketing that may possibly stretch the truth :shocked2:.

No it's not. There's a huge difference between claiming "Top Rated" and a providing a specific performance criteria that has never been proven by any testing, and is simply not possible to achieve.

Personally, think it's got tons of power for it's size-I must say it's moves me along very fast when I'm snorkeling-not as much with tanks but still does the job fine. I'm usually hunting or scoping out areas anyway and rarely even use it on 3rd speed.

You should really try one-I bet you'd be surprised. It only weighs 10 pounds-has tiny footprint-amazes me ever time I use it. And beyond simple-pretty unheard of in the scuba industry.

For example, I tossed one in my carry on-flew down to Fla., rented a few tanks and hit the 2nd and 3rd reef at Lauderdale By the Sea. Had a total blast-tank of air lasted forever-and didn't even feel the current. Also, the Blade makes a terrific platform for a camera for pov shots on the fly. I mounted a Panasonic DMC TS2 on mine and got some cool footage. That's the BladeFish in a nutshell.

There are lots of good DPVs on the market(I have most of them in my garage) and the BladeFish 5000 fits into the pack as the compact, simple, dependable and fun choice.

If Bladefish marketed their products based on size, weight and ease of use, and avoided ridiculous performance claims I'd have no objection.

Tobin

I have tried one.

I love its compactness – especially for travel.
I like its easy charge method.

I hate its ludicrous speed claims. Their asterisked remark that it's drag dependent (duh) is a cop-out.
I dislike its lack of power.

I'm neutral about its speed changing method. I initially disliked it, but with practice I've gotten used to it.

As with any tool, know your needs and see if this matches them.

Last edited:
The sad thing is we need threads like this and we need to read them.

We are in a small industry where manufacturers make crazy claims. Most of the industry magazines offer reviews that are always positive, usually opposite the page with the advertising for the product. While Tobin might not be unbiased, he and others certainly raise valid points the an informed customer should be aware of.

We are in a small industry where manufacturers make crazy claims. Most of the industry magazines offer reviews that are always positive, usually opposite the page with the advertising for the product. While Tobin might not be unbiased, he and others certainly raise valid points the an informed customer should be aware of.

Yeah but you'd need a month to read this thread-and I think it would probably confuse rather that inform. The BladeFish is such a refreshing change in an industry of complicated and cumbersome I don't think it gets it's due on this thread-and it seems at least half of the respondents haven't used it or are selling competing scooters.(and really Dive Xtras guys-do you really think the BladeFish is that much of a threat?)

I had one of the first BladeFish and never even thought about it's speed rating until the "outraged" competing vendors started making it a larger than life issue on this thread. (and regarding the speed whether it's BladeFish, Sea Doo etc. I think they all use the same method to speed rate their scooters)

So which is worse, a manufacturer spicing up marketing claims of a product or competing vendors trashing a product on a public forum?

This I agree with.

We are in a small industry where manufacturers make crazy claims. Most of the industry magazines offer reviews that are always positive, usually opposite the page with the advertising for the product.

Here I'm not so sure. There's no shortage of hyperbole in scuba marketing, and unbiased reviews can be difficult to find, but I don't see many out right false quantitative performance claims.

I don't see 100 cuft tanks advertized as 200 cuft with an *
(* cuft may vary based on willingness to overfill)

I don't see 50 lbs lift bags advertized 100 lbs lift capacity with an *
(Lift capacity based on use in pools of mercury)

I don't see dive lights that offer 2 hours of burn time advertized as 8 hours with a *
(*Burntimes based on high carrot consumption and 25% duty cycle)

While Tobin might not be unbiased, he and others certainly raise valid points the an informed customer should be aware of.

Of course I'm biased, largely in favor of the truth.

Tobin

So which is worse, a manufacturer spicing up marketing claims of a product or competing vendors trashing a product on a public forum?

Nice, try to smear the messenger.

The only people I've seen say anything negative about the product i.e. the Bladefish have been disappointed actual users.

I have confined my criticism to the marketing, not the product.

Of course this has been pointed out to you many many times already.

I see a future for you in Campaign consulting, 2012 is just around the corner.

Tobin

Nice, try to smear the messenger.

The only people I've seen say anything negative about the product i.e. the Bladefish have been disappointed actual users.

I have confined my criticism to the marketing, not the product.

Of course this has been pointed out to you many many times already.

I see a future for you in Campaign consulting, 2012 is just around the corner.

Tobin
Have you tried one?

Thing is, the DPV threads have been dominated by you guys(yeah-Dive Xtras) no matter what the scooter-you guys jump all over it "it's a toy" etc.when most of the scoots are fine for most people and everyone can't fork out $4000 nor is it feasible for someone to lug something of that size without causing a hernia. You may perceive yourself as a holier than thou crusader for truth and honesty but c'mon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom