BLADEFISH Sea Jets - A Completely Different Approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, this is one of those threads that keeps on giving. I just watched some videos of the Bladefish on youtube - real videos as opposed to marketing ones. I can see the point about the fish laughing.

BTW I'm not affiliated with Dive Xtras, I do own a Sierra.

I haven't tried out the Bladefish, but anybody visiting Maui can rent one for $30 at Maui Dreams dive shop in Kihei.

I asked the shop clerk a neutral "How do you like it?" question. Her answer was "It's not quite as fast as normal swimming, so you will probably find yourself kicking a bit to help it along. It makes a long swim less tiring and you'll use less air".

What get's forgotten or conveniently left out of the conversation by most of the posters is the fact that the BladeFish weighs only 10 pounds with a 15" x 14" x 6" footprint and can tow a fully geared diver-that's freakin amazing. Understand, DPVs can weigh 40-70 pounds-and the large scooter manufacturers hate the fact that this small 10 pound scooter poses competition.(which I really don't get as most owners of the big scooters want more power and don't mind forking over the big bucks to get it-portability isn't a priority for these folks)

Regarding the speed rating-it's based on something-like towing a kid probably-but many DPV manufacturers use the same standard e.g. The Sea Doo VS Supercharged is rated at 3 mph and the Explorer at 3.3(though I think the Explorer has twice the thrust as the VS) so none of it really makes much sense. A standardized rating system would benefit the customer.

My experience has been the BladeFish is very quick when snorkeling-slower when fully geared up but fast enough for me and will extend your air, help in currents and allow you to cover more ground and is incredibly simple to maintain-truly plug and play.

If you're diving 120s with deco bottles this is not the scoot for you. If you're a recreational diver and want a scooter that's quick, light and easy the BladeFish is worth taking a look.

The bladefish is small, and only ten pounds.

I have no emotions concerning the size or weight of the bladefish.

I do take exception to the false and misleading claims bladefish makes concerning performance.

Tobin

It seems that most people who own them enjoy them. I know we own 2 and will replace them when they drop dead

What get's forgotten or conveniently left out of the conversation by most of the posters is the fact that the BladeFish weighs only 10 pounds with a 15" x 14" x 6" footprint and can tow a fully geared diver-that's freakin amazing. Understand, DPVs can weigh 40-70 pounds-and the large scooter manufacturers hate the fact that this small 10 pound scooter poses competition.(which I really don't get as most owners of the big scooters want more power and don't mind forking over the big bucks to get it-portability isn't a priority for these folks)
What does the weight have to do with the speed claims? That is the major argument, they are simply making claims that aren't real. I can easily see a false advertising suit in their future.

Regarding the speed rating-it's based on something-like towing a kid probably-but many DPV manufacturers use the same standard e.g. The Sea Doo VS Supercharged is rated at 3 mph and the Explorer at 3.3(though I think the Explorer has twice the thrust as the VS) so none of it really makes much sense. A standardized rating system would benefit the customer.

Dive-X at least uses the numbers from the Tahoe benchmark. For products that haven't been benchmarked they scale the numbers using other products as a baseline.

What get's forgotten or conveniently left out of the conversation by most of the posters is the fact that the BladeFish weighs only 10 pounds ...

I don't see that as being left out or forgotten. Tobin referenced the weight in his calculations numerous times throughout the thread.

In at least one of the marketing videos, text appears calling it "the world's fastest." It's not presented as a side note unimportant stat, it's a major selling point both in video and in print.

a6cd895d-72ab-a289.jpg

(clearly these are my impressions as a consumer)

The other major selling point is the weight. So out of curiosity, if you bought a bladefish because it is listed as weighing 10#, and you pulled a 30# unit out of the box, would you object?

LOL, they're calling it the worlds fastest "Seajet". Presumably it's the worlds only "Seajet" wich conveniently also makes it the lightest, cheapest, sexiest, most likey to win an academy award etc....

bladefish can go three miles an hour*,**,***

* assuming no constants and if the earth would kindly rotate faster during testing
**assuming you weight less than 8 ounces
***assuming it is pulled by a faster dpv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom