Blasted airlines, always making it tougher!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you set on southwest?

American has flights from Lubbock to CZM (and back) with a stop in DFW for $626 including 2 bags coach 1/13-1/19. I've found it's sometimes cheaper to upgrade to business class where you get two free bags than it is to just pay for two bags, but I didn't look those prices up. Bus also gets 70lb per bag instead of 50, quicker boarding, and free booze in flight (if that's your thing).

I found that one using Expedia.

I also pack "heavy" when I go to Coz. 2 large bags, 1 personal item (backpack) and 1 carryon (pelican air case). The only time it's a problem is if they decide to inspect your bags on the way into Coz.

I'm with @dlofting As I get older, not only are there things I might not be able to do, but have no desire to do. One of the reasons I worked so hard, for so long, was to allow me and my family to enjoy ourselves. A simple, easy, enjoyable trip is often worth the investment.

I try to always investigate the airline sites. I have found that the "Travel" sites seem to favor certain airlines and do not check all the carriers rates. The advantage to SWA is free bags and if you cancel a flute you get full credit towards future. Just got raped, yes raped, by United for changing a flute to WI. ,original tickets for two $950, after changing due to a delay in equipment, total cost for the original and charges,,,$2600!!! Do your homework and you may find a deal.
Yeah, that "No flight changes or refunds" of Basic Economy also concerned me. I always take decent trip insurance for international trips, but there are possible problems it wouldn't cover. The airlines charge a large fee to change flights, but that's better than losing big tickets totally. That makes that extra $50 seem more appealing.

If you want a real challenge try booking from up here in the Great White North. Might be -30C when you (attempt) to start your car to get to / from the airport, and it could also be blizzard conditions. Might be a serious delay for de icing the aircraft, and this year about 90% of the flights starting / returning me to my local airport feature an overnight lay over which means clearing customs, taking your luggage to the hotel or sleeping with it in the airport, & then getting in the line up to give it back to the airline an hour earlier than necessary to catch the final flight of the trip. My trip when I add in the luggage costs & seat selections works out at roughly $1000 per person Cdn which is about $767 US at the official rate right now.
You northern folks amaze me with how you survive winter. I guess if you grow up there, you learn what it takes. My ancestors who migrated here all came from climes where rain is much more common, and they had to learn to get tougher fighting Amerindians and living with frequent droughts. I flew to Mississippi last year to visit cemeteries and the growths on those headstones makes them difficult to read, but I know not to use chalk, etc. on tombstones which can ruin them. Also a problem downstate where many of our first generation Texans settled, but not a problem here.

Flying into CAN seems like too much of a hassle with all your bags....or hire a pvt driver from CAN to PDC....some poster listed his frequent driver in here somewhere.

I’m flying down on Saturday...$353rt NY/COZ!
I guess you mean Cancun/CUN. Yeah, Y'all still get the cheap fares. Chief gave me contact info for a private van guy with the lowest rates I've heard of, but getting my bags to an Ado bus is easy enough. I used him for trips to my Cancun dentist.

That sounds like a Basic Economy seat. With American Airlines, you're not allowed a carry on bag for that airfare type. Make sure you verify everything, including checked bag fees and carry on allowances. SWA doesn't charge for the first checked bag.
From AA.com: "Customers flying Basic Economy are now allowed 1 free carry-on (in addition to a personal item) to all destinations." I think the $50 more for reserved seats and changeable flights would be worth it tho. SWA allows two free checked bags, which is their only appeal to me.

These were the types of problems I never had (or even thought about) when I was younger. Who cared if you arrived in a place at some awful hour, had to sleep in the airport or hump 100 lbs of gear, clothes and stuff to some stopover hostel and back to the airport.

But that's all changed. I have to consider how much I can carry and how long it will take me to recover once I get where I'm going....particularly if we're planning to do 3 or 4 dives a day.
I know. I do allow more these days.

Are you set on southwest?

American has flights from Lubbock to CZM (and back) with a stop in DFW for $626 including 2 bags coach 1/13-1/19. I've found it's sometimes cheaper to upgrade to business class where you get two free bags than it is to just pay for two bags, but I didn't look those prices up. Bus also gets 70lb per bag instead of 50, quicker boarding, and free booze in flight (if that's your thing).

I found that one using Expedia.

I also pack "heavy" when I go to Coz. 2 large bags, 1 personal item (backpack) and 1 carryon (pelican air case). The only time it's a problem is if they decide to inspect your bags on the way into Coz.
I enjoy Business class flying altho I get more sleep in Coach, whereas I stay awake for the amenities up front. That would be almost $270 more than Main Cabin with reserved seats tho vs $130 for luggage fees. The shorter lines at the desk and TSA are also nice, but not enough to waste that much. I always take digital scales and triple check my bags before leaving home or hotel.

That sounds like a Basic Economy seat. With American Airlines, you're not allowed a carry on bag for that airfare type. Make sure you verify everything, including checked bag fees and carry on allowances. SWA doesn't charge for the first checked bag.

Not true.

american_basic_economy.jpg

Attachments

• american basic economy.JPG
    american basic economy.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 35
From AA.com: "Customers flying Basic Economy are now allowed 1 free carry-on (in addition to a personal item) to all destinations."

When I booked my 1st week of Sept. 2018 Coz. trip via Orbitz, it was Delta going, American Airlines coming back. As I was reading the terms before finalizing, I noticed with the American ticket, I'd get a personal item free, but NOT a carry on bag. I paid a bit over $20 more so I'd have the carry on bag free, too. I don't recall what the categories were, but that's pretty recent experience.

When you book the cheap seats on American, read the fine print. I'm no Delta fan, but didn't have that issue with them.

Richard.

I wonder if that varies per flight. I flew American to Cozumel in June, but went business as the upgrade was almost exactly the same as paying for two checked bags. I usually fly coach on American and have always got a free personal item and free carry-on, as recently as this past May. Although that flight was domestic.

Clearly prices change considerably based on...who knows what?

[Edit - ignore the first sentence, I misunderstood. The remainder still applies]I think a lot of the suggestions miss the point that Don is looking at the next couple of months, so late November is the target (presumably missing the Thanksgiving rush).

Don, I think you've got the big picture, but there are a few areas for solace ...

ADO bus is about $200 pesos one-way, as is the ferry. Call it $500 pesos with tips - that's less than $30 USD at today's rates. Whether you fly into Cozumel or arrive on the ferry, you're going to be paying for taxi/shuttle to your hotel, so that's a wash. That puts you at under $500 USD - use that "extra" $100 USD to pay for SWA early check-in if you're worried about seats, but travelling solo I'm usually able to find either an aisle or a window as long as I'm C10 or earlier for boarding. Depending on where you're staying, it might cost only a little more to leave a day early and then skip the morning dives the next day to recover from travel fatigue. If TSHTF, and you're really late, you can just take next full day you would have been traveling for resting up and beverages of your choice. Now you're on top of your game and have the rest of the week to enjoy your dives.

For the return, you could use someone like Supper Shuttle from Playa to the airport, which should give you enough time to be able enjoy your breakfast, which you'd have to stop and buy somewhere anyway.

The SWA stop in Dallas is not a plane change, which can be good or bad, depending on your preferences.

And at least one of the off-site airport parking services in Lubbock offers covered parking for $1.25/day more, so while it may take the defroster a while to warm up, at least you won't be trying to carve 1/2" of ice off the windshield while you're waiting!

I think a lot of the suggestions miss the point that Don is looking at the next couple of months, so late November is the target (presumably missing the Thanksgiving rush).
No, my first paragraph said "I'd really like to see the eagle rays before I get too old for all of this. My favorite Op tells me December thru February is almost guaranteed for those beauties. I am not about to get on a plane in December, so I looked at the next two months."

ADO bus is about $200 pesos one-way, as is the ferry. Call it $500 pesos with tips - that's less than $30 USD at today's rates. Whether you fly into Cozumel or arrive on the ferry, you're going to be paying for taxi/shuttle to your hotel, so that's a wash. That puts you at under $500 USD
Yeah, I guess I exaggerated the bus & ferry estimates. I stay downtown only a half block from the plaza and have had tricycle porters take me from the ferry all the way to my hotel.

Depending on where you're staying, it might cost only a little more to leave a day early and then skip the morning dives the next day to recover from travel fatigue.
Extra days & nights in Coz are cheap for me, as I like $40 hotels and eat cheaply, and I have done that. One problem trip a few years ago after weather delays and cancellations in Texas, then a trip to my Cancun dentist, I barely made the late ferry in PDC. I grabbed the last tricycle porter on the dock, got to the hotel after midnight, and slept 'til noon.

And at least one of the off-site airport parking services in Lubbock offers covered parking for $1.25/day more, so while it may take the defroster a while to warm up, at least you won't be trying to carve 1/2" of ice off the windshield while you're waiting!
Yeah, I have used Shelter Park there since 1988.

I'll be there at for a week starting Thanksgiving day. Maybe I will see you there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom