Bleeding Seals and Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric__U

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Divers,

I recently purchased a new drysuit and got it in black and red. I thought these colors looked good at the time of purchase. After watching discovery channel and some pictures of me diving I came to the realization that "dam i look like a bleeding seal". Would this increase my chances of being attacked or "nudged" by a shark? I hope it dosent as, I would not like to attract sharks especially not look like the weakest target in my pod of divers. Does any one have any info/resherch on this topic?

thanks for any imput!!

I dont belive that sharks have a particularly developed color vision, they are far more atuned to contrast than color. This is how they can see you when you cant see them.

It is my understanding that sharks hunt primarily by smell ... so unless you smell like a bloody seal I doubt there's much to worry about.

Besides, sharks don't eat divers ... the hard bit on our backs make them fart ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When you smell like a bleeding seal, then I think it's time to make an exposure suit change.

Yum Yum Yellow was thought to attract sharks. I wish it would. That would cut down on my need to buy chum. But its safe to say that unless you happen to fall asleep on a decomposing seal, I don't think the sharks will bother you much. Unless your spear fishing?

Eli

By the way, I finally dove in a dry suit and I love it! It can get a little stuffy around the neck at times, other than that...its great.

Don't use that new cologne, "Bleeding Seal" while your diving in your black and red suit. I think that would cause a little trouble for you.

Just remember my theory about sharks, You only have to swim faster than your partner.

Back
Top Bottom