Blind Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hal41

Reaction score
My sons girl friend is PADI certified OW.
She went blind becasuse of a genitic desiese.She can still see things real close. and shadows farther.
I went diving with her last summer at disney.
She was great underwater and wants to do more.
Does any one have any tips or contacts for me? I am willing to learn.
Is ther a group in central Fl. that I could hook her up with?
Thanks for any help

Sorry but I cannot help. I really just wanted to digitally shake your hand for trying to help getting her in the water more. I am sure it will take some time, money and effort and the fact that you are looking to extend that is just great.

I will try to see if I can help so that I did not just ramble in your thread....off to Google :sprint:

EDIT

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/divers-disabilities/351796-scuba-blind.html

There is a reference to Silent World in that thread. They may be able to tell you where to head.

EDIT # 2

http://www.hsascuba.com/

This association (Handicap Scuba Association) may be able to help you out.

A great resource would be Diveheart out of Chicago. They do training all over the place in the states and might know of instructors or buddies. Another organization is SUDS. While they mainly focus on military personnel they might be able to help as well.

If you get up towards the Chicago area I'd be glad to dive with her as well.

There are also a number of past threads about and/or by blind divers. Although the ones I remember weren't local to you, there was discussion about practicalities, and etc. so you may find them helpful or enjoyable to read.

I don't have any tips, but I'm with ScubaSteve in complimenting you on being open to this.

I did a number of dives with a wonderful diver who had macular degeneration. Her entire underwater world was "macro" because that's all she could see -- only things up close. She enjoyed spending the entire dive on one coral head, and I loved that pace.

She was very competent in the water and only needed my help in suiting up and navigation. Really, I needed more training than she did -- because I realized that I was basically solo diving. I needed to be both self reliant and able to help her, if necessary. Just my .02.

Good on ya.

Just some thoughts. There is the Handicapped Scuba Association (HSA), the International Association of Handicapped Divers (IAHD), and Dive Heart which I know is interested in working with the blind as well and not just the military. As for central Florida you have some of the world's best cave instructors nearby who teach people to stay alive without being able to see in caves when lights fail or when the silt obscures visibility. Maybe someone in the cave community is also trained to teach disabled divers?

I've always thought with some of our tech and cave diving techniques the blind could also enjoy the challenge of technical diving with the right buddies.

A1scuba may be able to assist you locating someone close for training.

The visually impaired certification will have restrictions that vary per agency so be sure to ask. My brother certified last summer with SSI, not only is he required to have 2 buddies but one needs to be instructor rated.... Yeah that happen odten:idk:

SDI's cert says 2 buddies, one who has rescue training... We are cross training him just incase he bumps into a shop that actually reads his card

Thanks for the Info.
When I dove with her she was very independent. I just had to be focused so I could signal her. She had great buoyancy control.
I will hook her up with Dive heart. I have no problem budding with her. I plan to try a FL spring with her this summer.

Handicapped SCUBA Association International (H.S.A.) trains blind divers which includes hand signals for (among others) depth, air, bottom time, level off, descend, ascend and the ever important, are you OK? There are several HSA Instructors in Florida including the below. The CD are course directors that certify instructors for H.S.A. and they can certainly refer you to someone. The website Handicap Scuba Association has a list of all instructors in FL.
CD109 Pamela Ann Bradley
Key Largo, FL 33037
Phone: 866-539-7432
diverpam1@yahoo.com

CD113 Dianne Carter
Fellsmere, FL 32948
Phone: 772-51-8412
Fax: 772-571-9610
dianneHD@aol.com

Below are Florida organizations you may find already in the area helping
veterans and that have HSA trained instructors who could possibly help.

Boris A. Twillman (Bo)
SDI/TDI Staff Instructor # 14234
PADI MSDT # 57692
HSA Instructor # 2633
863.430.3588 Cell
Email: fldiveguy@yahoo.com (Insecure)

John Dickinson, Scuba Works (561) 575-3483, www.scubaworks.com works with
the Wounded Warrior Project Wounded Warrior Project - Home in Jupiter FL.

Beach City SCUBA is owned by a disabled veteran (at least they post their
business on the Disabled Veteran Owned Business website) and they are an
Handicapped SCUBA Association (H.S.A.) certified dive shop.
Beach City Scuba - Mary Esther - Fort Walton Beach - Blue Skies and High Tides! you may try talking to them to see what if
any program they are running.

This dive shop offers training for adaptive divers with the proceeds going
to help disabled veterans. They are affiliated with Dive Heart who has just
announced they are doing chapters in states (they are currently in
Illinois).
http://www.aquanauts.biz/diveheart

If she came to Southern CAlifornia, I have spent some time in the water with blind divers as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom