Suggestion Block feature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fair enough. ScubaBoard's runs on xenForo, software which does not support that feature, currently anyway. The concept does run counter to the concept of a public forum. By public forum I mean one that is open to non-members and is indexed by search engines like Google and Bing.

The closest feature we have is DMs (Direct Messages), which is private, but can include a number of members.
If I blocked you, both your messages and my messages would be visible to the "public" who are not logged in. So blocking someone is not effecting how public the forum is. In my view, block feature would reduce bickering and enhance content quality.

Like other social media, is there a block feature to prevent another user from seeing your posts? Just curious.
No.

This is a public forum for the benefit of the community, not a messaging system a-la faeces/chat/gram/twatter -- for the benefit of the owners.

Blocking is not a feature we offer.

We’ll be happy to consider it but it’s not something we’ve found necessary.

In the 17 years I’ve been on Scubaboard I’ve managed to do without that feature. (Be assured I’d have used it more than a few times if it was available).

In the three weeks you’ve been on Scubaboard you apparently have found a need for it.

Please reread our terms of service, we expect our users to interact in a civil manner. If a user is failing to do so please feel free to report their activity- we review these reports and take them seriously.

So blocking someone is not effecting how public the forum is. In my view, block feature would reduce bickering and enhance content quality.

Perhaps but it would be very complex to manage because of the quoting functions and conversation. In many cases, it would not take long for a member to figure out they were blocked and logout so they could read it, rendering it ineffective.

That said, this is not a function that can be done unless some enterprising programmer can write it and offer it as an option, or is included in a xenForo update. It would also have to be evaluated after enough members up-voted this suggestion to indicate the feature was desirable. As I write this, the vote count is a minus 6.

1659530266831.png

There are POV warriors on both sides. Who is right? Debate is acceptable if conducted in a civil manner, and usually, the truth becomes apparent. The idea of blocking all but invited individuals is in itself a symbol of a POV warrior and gang mentality (or ego). Or maybe even insecurity.

If you don't want to see the comments, you can put the individual on ignore. That is for you, and not you deciding for me who can comment in a discussion.

What could possibly being posted here that one can’t bear to see it or one may want to prevent another one to see it.

Eating a spoon of concrete and hardening up also should be added into forum features.

There are POV warriors on both sides. Who is right? Debate is acceptable if conducted in a civil manner, and usually, the truth becomes apparent. The idea of blocking all but invited individuals is in itself a symbol of a POV warrior and gang mentality (or ego). Or maybe even insecurity.

If you don't want to see the comments, you can put the individual on ignore. That is for you, and not you deciding for me who can comment in a discussion.
Ignore feature as it is implemented does not make much sense to me. At least it could fully hide the comments of ignored person, it defeats the purpose if you see that someone you ignored posted a comment :) . You have to again actively ignore the person you already ignored. I am ok if ignore feature delivers what it promises.

What could possibly being posted here that one can’t bear to see it or one may want to prevent another one to see it.

Eating a spoon of concrete and hardening up also should be added into forum features.

Ignore feature as it is implemented does not make much sense to me. At least it could fully hide the comments of ignored person, it defeats the purpose if you see that someone you ignored posted a comment :) . You have to again actively ignore the person you already ignored. I am ok if ignore feature delivers what it promises.
The ignore feature at least keeps unwanted people from DMing you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom