Bloody habit, this diving....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetnorm

Registered
Reaction score
Saw a diver or two in Cocos last week who covered their open wounds with duct tape.

This was supposedly to keep the wounds clean. I was told it is about the only dressing that stays put underwater. It sure worked.

Now I wonder about the old saying that a drop of blood can attract sharks from all around (miles away?).

Any truth to this? Maybe it is good to remember to use duct tape.

wetnorm:
Now I wonder about the old saying that a drop of blood can attract sharks from all around (miles away?).

Any truth to this? Maybe it is good to remember to use duct tape.

Sharks generally don't have a clue what human blood smells like and even if they did 99.9999999% of the time they still would not be interested as we are not on their menu. Now if you were to drop fish blood or in certain circumstances a marine mamals blood into the water then that would be another matter entirely.

I was Tahiti last year when I got my monthly visit. I was a little nervous about diving that day, given that all the dives we had done in previous days were just chock full of black tips, large lemons and pretty healthy grays. They never gave me a second glance.

simonspear:
Now if you were to drop fish blood or in certain circumstances a marine mamals blood into the water then that would be another matter entirely.

I am a marine mammal! Bwahahaa...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom