Bloody nose, a good reason?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, but you never know. No pain no gain is not for scuba... Did your mask leak a lot on those earlier dives as a result of your breathing? Sounds like a lot of clearing to compensate. Anyway, I agree it can be a combination of things so just dive and see how it goes. Nice easy descents and use the anchor line if you feel more comfortable.

no anchor lines on these drift dives up here in Jupiter....to make it more interesting, we were diving in 6-7 foot seas. They were pretty gentle 6-7 footers but still...
underneath the surface was calm, warm, and pretty good viz, oddly. Burst disk shortened dive 1. dive 2 was better but I was pretty conscious of the squeeze so I think I breathed a bit more than hoped and that dive was also short a bit. Still, both dives, I came up with bloody nose again on both dives, albeit much less than yesterday's bloody dives. I feel slightly congested but I almost always feel slightly congested (separate issue) so I'm not sure why this dive should be different than the other dives. Maybe I should try to dive AZ rather than FL :D! Thanks again for the tips!!

Sorry to hear about your diving woes. To be on the safe side go to a doctor that is also a scuba diver. Florida should be a good place to find one if you have time. I am sure your experience will be enlightening and hope you give us an update. I am actually in Bangkok.

Bangkok?! No wonder you respond at all kinds of hours.
I did 2 more boat dives today and again, surfaced with bloody nose both dives :( ... thankfully, they were much less bleeding. I still feel fine. I pointed it out to the owner/instructor on the boat and he said, both before and after the dives (I dove with him so he watched my ascents/descents) that I had little to worry about. Still no answers though....I'm only in FL for 2 more days then back home. I'll contact DAN to get a referral back home.
Thanks AZ!

I thought it was you responding at all kinds of odd hours :)

ha ha - very good!! I see now that you're listed in Bangkok. I guess all I had to do was read. That's asking a lot.
Let's see what happens today - 3 tanks on yet another boat. My fingers are crossed and nostrils closed. thx :D

For a couple of years I had regular bloody noses while diving. Mine was entirely associated with sinus problems. As soon as I had sinus surgery, the bloody noses went away.

On a lighter note, my son (dive buddy) got used to my nose bleeds and would simply signal and roll his eyes. However whenever we dove at the local quarry with lots of dive classes he would make a huge deal of it as we got out of the water. I would often get even with him by accusing him of punching me underwater.

I did gross out quite a few people by blowing out bloody snot, but the fish loved it.

I get a nice nose bleed after every now and then. I called DAN about my concern after the first one when I had blood in my mucus for two days. Just a small blockage in my secondary sinus cavity which was the root of the problem.

My diagnosis... descend slowly, a bit slower than those around me.
When I feel it come on, I actually stop and ascend a few feet and blow my nose through my mask to help clear what may be the block. It's worked before, but there has been times I've had to abort the dive altogether.

I have been reading over some old threads tonight. I got a mild nosebleed today after descending to about 30ft. Slow descent, nothing out of the ordinary. I wasn't even aware of it. Scared my husband though. I have never had a nosebleed that I can remember. Not sure if I should worry about this or not....

Welcome to SB Melly!

Simple answer- probably not, can happen for a number of reasons as you've read in the preceding posts. If it was mild and doesn't recur then nothing to get too excited about. And they do often look far worse than they really are. :D

You can always give DAN a yell at 1-800-446-2671 to discuss it too.

Back
Top Bottom