Blue Heron Bridge in Winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirtfarmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In early January I'm headed out on the Shearwater to do some Tiger/Hammerhead diving, and now I realize that I can extend my time and dive a couple days at the BHB. I'm a huge muck/macro fan so it would be a shame to be there and not dive it.

I'm a photographer and would be hiring a guide from a shop and know about the tidal timing at BHB, so now I'm just looking for some info on conditions I might expect in January.

I used to dive the bridge in the winter when I lived in Florida. Water temps will likely be in the low 70's, vis doesn't vary all that much throughout the year (its more dependent on whether its rained and canals are letting out freshwater or if really rough ocean conditions are bringing in sediment filled water on the tides).

A fleece coat is helpful for when you get out of the water. I've dove a couple of times when air temps were in the 50's (water still 70'ish) and it was pretty cold once we exited the water. Having a fleece coat on while you hose off your gear is a life saver.

Force-E and Pura Vida both have guide services.

LOL the guys from Northern California, he can dive it wet

I don't mind diving it wet, I mind coming up to 60F or windy conditions on surface post dive. Maybe I need a minivan with a gas heater...

Dry is nice for looooong dives

Water in the 70s....oooooo…..I knew this would get around to us vs. them regarding cold. 60s Air....ooooo.
Actually, my dives today had exactly that. 60F Air and exactly 70F water---here--Nova Scotia---almost mid Sept.
I think the world's gunna boil away. 3 summers ago I saw a school of Triggerfish--off Halifax.

Texas guy. I'd dive the bridge in a 7MM, when I lived in Florida. I always wore a hood too. On really long dives I could get a bit chilled, but it was still doable wet

Texas guy. I'd dive the bridge in a 7MM, when I lived in Florida. I always wore a hood too. On really long dives I could get a bit chilled, but it was still doable wet

Nah, I don't do even 5mm. Putting 5/7mm on is about the same trouble as donning a drysuit. Might look weird though, many don't own one in S. florida. Well, it is what it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom