Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday. In general I try to tamp down my expectations for the bridge with an "it is what it is attitude" and just go about my diving no matter the distractions, in this way disappointment is avoided. Too many people in the park, too many people in the water, too many people on the beach, beach closed because of construction, the noise from the construction, bad visibility, bad weather, the constant drone of boat motors, the disgusting over used bathrooms, the guys that drive through the parking lot with the bass on stereo shaking car windows playing music one would never choose to listen to in a million years, trash all over the parking lot, the idiots that can't seem to keep there car alarms from honking incessantly, the macro photographers with $20,000 rigs that can't get over their own brilliance because they take 150 exposures of the same subject, the dead guy in the car a month ago or so, the sight of those stupid little beach wagons almost everybody has now, the list goes on and on. All of which is usually washed away by the prospect and realization of finding a new critter or fish. Unfortunately, yesterday it was all just a little too much to deal with.

Aren't some days just like that??! I feel your pain.

Same...

I have to remember the stellar days to reflect back on when a dive is "I just need to get wet" type..

Is the bhb still open for diving? I heard something about construction…

Yes, there is construction. The beach area is closed. Park in the lot, walk across the street, enter on the north side beach area. West side of the bridge, under the bridge is closed to divers.

Speakin' of fighting ... or is this also 'not fighting' ...a couple of crabby box crabs boxing :)
Quite some moves on the little feisty one

Nice day at the bridge with great viz and even lucked out with a spot close to the crossing.
Much better than the Wide World of Wrestling!

Went to the bridge for diving on Wednesday, and snorkeling only today. It was not crowded on Wednesday, it was very crowded today. Sorry, I just don't see the attraction for all these people to pile on to that little margin of a beach when there are miles of beautiful ocean beach 3-10 minutes down the road. Anyway, the visibility on Wednesday was not much better than Monday, about 25 hazy feet. It seemed to be a little improved today definitely much more blue and about 30ft. Sea temp was 85f. Did REEF fish surveys on both days, about 65 species on each in 70 minutes. I observed a decapod (dead) which I have not been able to identify, it looks more like a Crayfish than a Lobster. Found a Dusky Jawfish out and about with no borough near by, very unusual for jawfish to be out in the open like that. I did another Spiny Lobster video, say if you can count how many. Respectively, Unidentified Crayfish Like Decapod, Dusky Jawfish, Redear Herring, Graysby, Dusky Jawfish Video, Redear Herring Video, and Lobster Lineup Video.

View attachment 791484View attachment 791485View attachment 791486View attachment 791487

Yeah. I don’t get the attraction either. Maybe the lack of waves.

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday. In general I try to tamp down my expectations for the bridge with an "it is what it is attitude" and just go about my diving no matter the distractions, in this way disappointment is avoided. Too many people in the park, too many people in the water, too many people on the beach, beach closed because of construction, the noise from the construction, bad visibility, bad weather, the constant drone of boat motors, the disgusting over used bathrooms, the guys that drive through the parking lot with the bass on stereo shaking car windows playing music one would never choose to listen to in a million years, trash all over the parking lot, the idiots that can't seem to keep their car alarms from honking incessantly, the macro photographers with $20,000 rigs that can't get over their own brilliance because they take 150 exposures of the same subject, the dead guy in the car a month ago or so, the sight of those stupid little beach wagons almost everybody has now, the list goes on and on. All of which is usually washed away by the prospect and realization of finding a new critter or fish. Unfortunately, yesterday it was all just a little too much to deal with.

@MrChen is correct, the water temp was a disappointing 78f. The tide was not strong enough to push the green water entirely past the pier. So vis under the pier and the vicinity of the bridge pilings was 10feet and green. Vis on the snorkel trail was better, maybe 20ft with blue color. The cold temps for this time of year are not unprecedented. I remember many times in the past near mini-season that we have had some kind of strange cold water upwelling, indeed I remember it because of the proximity to mini season. Nevertheless, having been away on vacation up north and not diving for eleven days I was not in a frame of mind to deal with 78f water in the middle of July. And even as I write, it makes me laugh because a cold water diver reading this would think "what, is this guy nuts, he is complaining about 78F water being cold?".

Anyway, I did do a REEF survey, but my photography was off, because the red filter was missing, and I was uncomfortable in the cold water. Did get some good video of Dash Gobies doing some kind of display. Respectively, Blue Stripe Grunts, Phoronopsis Californica, and Dash Goby Video.

View attachment 793562View attachment 793563

Wow. Sounds so appealing. We live for days when a swordfish appears out of nowhere.

Is the bhb still open for diving? I heard something about construction…
Yes it is. I and about 50 other divers were there yesterday. Get there early.

The bridge itself is being repaired and everything under it is closed. You walk and cross the street at the park’s enterance.

Yesterday the vis was 25’-35’. Great dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom