Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. Same blanket statement they said previously. I’m hoping for a bit of common sense & nuance to the project schedule as construction progresses west. I suspect that’s just too much to ask from a gov’t run project.

I thought I heard they opened the west side, can anyone confirm?

I was there last Wednesday morning, and we dove the west side, as did a few others. Not sure if we were "officially" allowed to be there or not.

I was there last Wednesday morning, and we dove the west side, as did a few others. Not sure if we were "officially" allowed to be there or not.

I believe he probably means actually UNDER the bridge on the west side. I believe that has been closed to diving. People have been diving the area south of the bridge on the west side but not actually UNDER the bridge. That area has been blocked by a curtain/boom. Has that changed?

We were right on the edge of the bridge, maybe 5-10 feet into the shadow, so kind of underneath it. I didn't see anything blocking us from going further if we wanted to. Also, I recall seeing a DD flag on the north side, by the older, smaller bridge.

I guess where I saw the flag was by fishing pier.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1155 for a 1359 high tide. The parking was about half fill when I arrived. Snorkeled the trail before diving, visibility was nice 50ft. Water was warm 85f. Did a REEF fish survey, 49 species in 55 minutes. Returned to my truck geared up and did the west side for about 135 minutes. Did another REEF survey. Believe I observed Redtail Scad and Lesser Amberjacks, both of which are rare or unseen at the bridge before.

I was at the Flower Garden Banks in the Gulf last week, I was going to try and write a blow by blow of the trip as it was progressing, but it was just to difficult. I have that trip report almost completed and will post the rest in a day or two.

I believe he probably means actually UNDER the bridge on the west side. I believe that has been closed to diving. People have been diving the area south of the bridge on the west side but not actually UNDER the bridge. That area has been blocked by a curtain/boom. Has that changed?
I have been diving the west side since they put the sediment booms in place. There was no signage or anybody attempting to stop divers from using the west side. The booms just made it difficult to navigate with a flag. I would just pull the flag down and under the edge of the boom, and let it pop back up. Since the booms went up I have encountered a total of two divers in as many months. The booms disintegrated rapidly and were for all intents and purposes useless after two weeks of getting hammered by incoming and outgoing tides. The booms have now all been cleared except for a small amount between the wall and channel barrier that they missed or were too lazy to collect. When I drove over the bridge today I was surprised to see NO equipment on top of the bridge. I was surprised to see NO workers on top of the bridge. I was surprised to see workers still under bridge in the beach area pressure washing the girders that are parallel to the roadway. I was surprised to see worker under bridge doing minor crack repairs on the pieces that are perpendicular to the roadway and sit on top of the columns. So they were all hot to trot to do east of boat channel and close the beach off. But they seem to be taking a vacation on the part of the bridge west of the channel. No doubt in an attempt to keep the beach closed as long as possible. The work I saw them doing today was rinky dink nonsense. Some jerkoff in an office somewhere on a power trip to keep the beach closed, for no good reason except that they can, pathetic.

Respectively, Sea Urchin Test on a Cushion Star (I found it this way), Lesser Amberjack, Spadefish, and Spanish Hogfish.
08-07-23 Cushion Star.jpg
08-07-23 Lesser Amberjack.jpg
08-07-23 Spadefish.jpg
08-07-23 Spanish Hog.jpg

Great news indeed :)

Perfect timing! I'm headed there next month!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom