Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice dive on Sunday. Still trying to find one of these guys w/eggs.

Mike - the last time I was up there (May 6) there was one w eggs in the same area I told you to look for that other critter you were looking for.

This guy...
524818_10151410202778531_510366960_n.jpg

Be gentle with thyself, your starting to act like Mntlbk :rofl3:..

that is only the second one I've seen at the bridge with eggs.

Finally got around to processing the pics from my last trip to the bridge. I'll just post links to some that I think might be of interest. Might want to just skip this post if yer the sort that gets bored with too many pics. :D

IMG_4825a | Flickr - Photo Sharing! This gulf flounder had coloring that I'd never noticed on one before.

IMG_4843wb | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Found another one of those baby trumpet fish. Lots of crud in the water that day, though.

IMG_4911wa spikey | Flickr - Photo Sharing! I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed that this same stoplight parrotfish with the big notch in his back is a regular on the west side.

IMG_4925wb | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Had no idea that this guy was brooding eggs until I got the pics onto the computer screen.

IMG_4966wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! This was the only saifin blenny I found in the area where I'd seen them last year. Oddly, I couldn't find him again on the next two dives. :confused: Interestingly, he could vary his coloration considerably in a very short period of time. IMG_5018wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! He was quite the poser, at least when not doing house cleaning. IMG_5160wa vomitus | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_5192wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! This odd "mating mound" has been noted before in the thread. Ran across it a couple of times that weekend. Forgot the name of the snails involved, even though I met an expert at a talk up in Jupiter by Rob Myers who was going to email me (the expert lady, that is). . .

Guess that's the highlights from that dive on Thursday, April 4.

Last edited:
That trumpet fish is actually a juvi cornetfish. :)
:heart: :heart: the sailfins... and I think you have a male and female. I've seen them sharing a home, and only one comes out at a time, so you think there is only one.. but really two! :wink: If you wait a really long time (good if you're solo, bad if you have an impatient buddy) you will eventually see both.

IMG_5273a | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Not sure why I get so excited about seeing a bristle worm go down a hole. . .

IMG_5287a | Flickr - Photo Sharing! I've now come to recognize the distinctive shape of these guys' holes and have started having some luck trying to wait them out to see if they'll come to the top and look out.

IMG_5343a | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Sand perch thought he wuz a blenny.

IMG_5378a | Flickr - Photo Sharing! These guys seem to be a bit less elusive these days. Just noticed that there might be an even *smaller* decapod in the upper left of this pic.

IMG_5412a | Flickr - Photo Sharing! These were in the same area and in the same batch of photos of the typical orangespotted gobies that I see slong with their shrimp buddies, but once I looked closer on the computer screen, I decided that they might be a different species. Turns out that they're my first dash gobies. IMG_5467wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Had a close encounter with possibly the largest southern stingray I've ever seen, but was on my first dive using a 100mm lens (instead of my usual 60mm) and only managed a silty shot of the stinger. :D

IMG_5485a two crabs | Flickr - Photo Sharing! This nine-armed sea star had a couple of different kinds of crabs hanging about. Both seemed to be into "blending in".

IMG_5563a | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Search as I might on that trip, I never found the first pikeblenny, though I initially thought that *this* was one. It was the right size and shape for a free swimming version of one, but it turned out to be a worm out of his hole for some reason. He soon curled up and posed for a photo session, but he creeped me out almost as much as a bobbit worm - which, thankfully, I've still never had to look at in person. I guess the spaghetti thingies coming out of its head are the same as those long, light blue things often seen spreading out from a central location in the sand. Interestingly, this similarly colored and shaped bit of stuff was nearby. IMG_5561a | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Probably just a coincidence. IMG_5571a | Flickr - Photo Sharing! and IMG_5579a | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_5623wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! The infestation of hairy blennies and high-hats seems to be continuing.
IMG_5629b | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_5694wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_5672wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_5715wa mammy | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_5660wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Fashion show for dorsal fin spots.

IMG_5745wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Wrong lens for this cool school that swam by. . .

IMG_5749wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! I find these little black and white versions very hard to catch in the frame.

IMG_5754wa injury | Flickr - Photo Sharing! I've started keeping a collection of the various "injuries" I see at the site. IMG_5760wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_5796wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Had forgotten that I'd seen more than one of these guys on the trip.

IMG_5814wb | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Hadn't realized that there was a population of these adults under the fishing pier. Which reminds me. *Somewhere* at the bridge - east side, I believe - is a bunch of snook that I've never happened across.

IMG_5906a | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Had spent a lot of time over several dives over the last couple of years looking for the sailfin blenny "condo" mounds that had been described to me. Had never managed to locate them and had last heard that they no longer housed any of the blennies. Happened across said mounds on the way back to the entry on this dive and one of them (smaller than I was expecting and not quite in the area where I'd spent my time searching) had an, apparently, new batch of blennies in residence. Can't decide whether sailfins or pikeblennies are my favorites. Guess I'm going to have to lean toward the pikeblennies, since I've now been without them for a while. :D

---------- Post added May 14th, 2013 at 01:37 PM ----------

That trumpet fish is actually a juvi cornetfish. :)
:heart: :heart: the sailfins... and I think you have a male and female. I've seen them sharing a home, and only one comes out at a time, so you think there is only one.. but really two! :wink: If you wait a really long time (good if you're solo, bad if you have an impatient buddy) you will eventually see both.

I'm no musician, but I'm gonna stick with the trumpet on this one. :D

I have seen two blennies (seaweed jobs) in one hole, but I'd be surprised if that were the case here. I did spend a *long* time observing this hole, and saw many gradations of coloration, so I'm kinda leaning toward only one fishy. But, I'll leave that possibility open. Do both sexes have that same big display with the dorsals?? Oh, and I *have* definitely seen the males turn a lighter color when they're out of their holes and visiting other sailfins, doing whatever it is that they do on such occasions. AAMOF, when that's been going on, all involved have been in that lighter colored outfit. I'll see if I can find that set on Flickr. Found it. IMG_3716wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! There's quite a few shots of them interacting in this set - mostly blurry. But, I do recall that when they returned to their bottles and settled down, they returned to their darker colored clothing.

Still don't know that I've figured out how to tell a male from a female sailfin blenny.

IMG_1405wa injury | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Found another shot of this injured guy from last July.

---------- Post added May 14th, 2013 at 03:30 PM ----------

IMG_5989wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! I do *occasionally* find one of these guys on my own, such as this one checking out a nudi that I wasn't able to spot until the pic was on the computer screen.

IMG_6052wb | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Biggest hermit I've seen at the bridge. He was digging up a storm at the west wall, silting up the whole area. :D Even got a little (poor) video of it.

IMG_6066wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! I find that these guys pose nicely until *just* before you pull the trigger. . .

IMG_6074wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! I think these guys *are* fighting.

IMG_6084wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! I guess I'll *always* have trouble passing up a green razorfish. IMG_6043wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_6134wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! and IMG_6117wfa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Uh oh. I absolutely cannot remember where I saw these sailfins on that last dive. hmmm. . . Can *almost* remember finding a couple of them in the few remaining scattered bottles in the area.

IMG_6158wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! This is only my second juvenile blue parrot. At six inches or so, I reckon maybe he's an "intermediate", eh? Definitely prefer my 60mm to this 100 lens.

IMG_6175wb | Flickr - Photo Sharing! A yellow stingray got into my hermit photo attempt.

IMG_6188wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Can also rarely pass up a puddingwife at *any* stage of development.

IMG_6189wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Another for my "injury" collection.

IMG_6192wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! These bluelip parrotfish can be maddenly difficult to photograph. Might help explain why so few show up in a Google "image" search, eh?

IMG_6207wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! I think these southern puffers are pretty cool looking - maybe even a little goofy looking. :D

IMG_6225wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! This guy seemed to wearing a prettier-than-normal outfit.

IMG_6229wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! This threespot seemed more inclined to pose than most. Maybe the 100mm *did* help out in this case. . .

IMG_6250wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Rarely seem to be able to get decent shots of the little schools of small fry.

IMG_6178wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Always enjoy observing "fishing" from the other end of the line. Best to have stowed the dive flag elsewhere for such observances.

Hoping to make it down this coming weekend for another go. Been drooling over the flat seas I've been seeing on the LBTS webcam, though the surf *is* up a bit, today. Windjammer - Lauderdale-By-The-Sea Beach Cam Just hope I can make my way through all the swimming frogfish.

Last edited:
I like this photo, not because of the fish, but what I didn't see that was behind it while I was diving. Does anyone have any pictures where they took a picture of something, only to realize later that something else was also in it?

62609_10151617815482518_1459664746_n.jpg

I'm no musician, but I'm gonna stick with the trumpet on this one. :D
Yeah, you might be right. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom