Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is our first season on scooters and we are having a blast with them. In April we beach dove with them at LBTS and was able to see things we otherwise would not have. I can't think of a dive where it would not come in handy.

I love my scooter and now Joanne has turned into a scooter junkie too. We shared mine down in the keys last summer and had a blast going along the reefs and the Benwood. Great for those long swims out to the reef when shore diving. Pepper Park in Ft. Pierce was much easier and LBTS would be good too. Also, there are Scooter Races. The last one I noticed was done on the Vandy. These are sanctioned scooter races. I would love to to it the videos are a hoot to watch. Yep, they are fun!

BHB Night Dive.jpg

Hello everyone,

Our next Blue Heron Bridge Night dive will be Saturday, July 6th at 7:15pm. This is a FREE event!

For more information, please visit: Blue Heron Bridge Night Dive: July 6th :: Pura Vida Divers

We hope to see you all there!

I love my scooter and now Joanne has turned into a scooter junkie too. We shared mine down in the keys last summer and had a blast going along the reefs and the Benwood. Great for those long swims out to the reef when shore diving. Pepper Park in Ft. Pierce was much easier and LBTS would be good too. Also, there are Scooter Races. The last one I noticed was done on the Vandy. These are sanctioned scooter races. I would love to to it the videos are a hoot to watch. Yep, they are fun!

I wandered over to the DPV forum and quickly left. Those folks don't seem to play very nice. Did a little googling and read a few reviews. Early returns suggest spending less than about $1200 is a waste of money. That enough to get it done at the bridge?? TIA

I wandered over to the DPV forum and quickly left. Those folks don't seem to play very nice. Did a little googling and read a few reviews. Early returns suggest spending less than about $1200 is a waste of money. That enough to get it done at the bridge?? TIA
There are some GUE's that are selling their Gavins for the new Halcyon scooters....the Halcyons are as fast, same duration, and less than half the weight...
So a used Gavin might go for $1000 or less...new they were around $3500.
They pretty much last for decades if you take care of them.

For a look at gavins, see:
Exploration, sea scooters. Fort Lauderdale, FL.
But they would not be able to help you in finding the used ones....that would be best probably on the Scubaboard DIR forum.

Any decent starter scooter is going to run $1000-1500. I picked up a Mako for my better half and she loves it, I have a Hollis H160 and it is faster than the Mako and similar units like the Gavin/SS but not as fast as some of the thoroughbreds out there. They will all work for any beach dives you do. Money equals burn time and less weight. The more you spend the longer you can dive before recharging and the lighter they will be.

I really don't like diving with out it now that I have it. It takes some practice to work out the added taskload. I haul a camera, Al40 and a lionfish tube with me and it's a lot of stuff going on. Upside is there is literally no swimming, just pull the trigger and go. Then stop, drop/clip it and shoot!:D

For used ones, check The Deco Stop and Cave Diver forums. They seem to have more for sale and the prices are very decent....ymmv

Can't really imagine a scooter would be very useful at BHB. Going slow is the key to the site, then you have the bulky thing to lay aside if you want to look at or photo a tiny critter. Never once at BHB have I said, boy, wish I could go even faster!

For long-swim beach dives, though, and flying through long stretches of reef or along huge wrecks, oh, yeah . . . .

Must . . . not . . . . . spend . . . . . more $$$$$.

Sorry to derail your conversation, but I'd like to pose a few questions...which I'm sure get asked alot, so thanks for your patience in answering them yet again.

I'm from Georgia, moved here last year. So far, I've been down to Panama City Beach, but would like to expand my options for diving around here. After hearing about the Bridge, I'm interested in doing some dives on it during the 4th of July weekend. I've read about the tides, but is there a good local dive shop that I can talk to and dive with? What other diving options are there in the area, since (as I gather) diving at the bridge is tide-dependent. What other information is good to know; where's some good local places to stay...anything else I'd need to know.

Thanks for your help!

Sorry to derail your conversation, but I'd like to pose a few questions...which I'm sure get asked alot, so thanks for your patience in answering them yet again.

I'm from Georgia, moved here last year. So far, I've been down to Panama City Beach, but would like to expand my options for diving around here. After hearing about the Bridge, I'm interested in doing some dives on it during the 4th of July weekend. I've read about the tides, but is there a good local dive shop that I can talk to and dive with? What other diving options are there in the area, since (as I gather) diving at the bridge is tide-dependent. What other information is good to know; where's some good local places to stay...anything else I'd need to know.

Thanks for your help!

There is Force E Dive Shop Riviera Beach Scuba Diving - Dive Rivera Beach's large dive charter boat fleet

and Jim Abernethy Scuba Adventures Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures |
and Pura Vida Dive shop Discover Florida Scuba Diving :: Pura Vida Divers

All very close. Each would help you.

At least the tides are really early, so the crowds won't be as bad. If it is a blowin' though, divers flock to the bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom