Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of a trifecta today at BHB--we saw a seahorse, a frogfish, and a stargazer--WOW! I heard from idive2 that it was cool yesterday on a boat dive--well, it came in on the tide, I had a low of 74 and Carol had 72--jeez, we were cold as we dressed for 80!! It seemed a little cold when we got in--and then my Suunto said 80, then 79, then 77, then 75, then 74 under the east bridge--went back up to 75 out in the shallow sunlight again:wink:What a relief!!

I wandered over to the DPV forum and quickly left. Those folks don't seem to play very nice. Did a little googling and read a few reviews. Early returns suggest spending less than about $1200 is a waste of money. That enough to get it done at the bridge?? TIA

Kevin, it depends on what you are looking for. Mine will get it done at the bridge. I bought a new Sea-Doo VS Supercharged Plus because I didn't know where to get a used better scooter. I would suggest that if you want a scooter you listen to Dan Volker. His post is correct. Also, research the different scooters. They can get very pricey. Also, talk to Billy at Force E. And remember, if you buy used Billy can fix anything and he knows a lot about scooters. My scooter is okay but it is very slow compared to other scooters. I have a blast on it but, I wouldn't buy it again. I want something faster. Mine is okay for what I do on it. I have had it down to the Keys and around here. It has 1 & 1/2 hrs run time. I have ran it hard and it does get the run time. However, it is slow compared to other scooters. It is rated to a depth of 100' so that is okay. It weighs 20 lbs. so I can tote it anywhere without a problem The larger scooters are heavier. I wouldn't suggest a Sea-Doo for you as I am sure you would want something faster. I have had my scooter a few years now. Haven't had any problems seems reliable enough just needs more power. Too bad the shops don't rent them so you could get a good idea about what you want as far as handling and speed. Mine is kind of a toy compared to other scooters. Billy at Force E may have a lead on a used scooter for you. Take it on a test fun to see if it handles the way you want it too and it is fast enough for you.

Just read Randy G's post. He has some good info too. Looks like he is enjoying his scooter. Might want to talk to him too.

---------- Post added June 29th, 2013 at 09:45 AM ----------

Can't really imagine a scooter would be very useful at BHB. Going slow is the key to the site, then you have the bulky thing to lay aside if you want to look at or photo a tiny critter. Never once at BHB have I said, boy, wish I could go even faster!

Guy, it is just about the fun. We don't need the scooters we just like them. :D I get to dive BHB about 3 times a week so, once in a while I just enjoy ridding my scooter. You can still do what you do. Joanne found 2 seahorse and 2 frogfiish while scootering. It isn't a serious thing, just for fun. We have our scooters weighted properly so, we can just stop and they hang there in the water with us. They don't sink to the bottom or drag us. Yep, I have stuff clipped to me.... but it's just for fun!!

Yes, Billy is my hero. :D

My whole issue is bottom time at the bridge. I carry enough air that, if I don't have to swim, I could get four or more hours in per dive. If I have to kick any significant amount, my bottom time can drop down to less than three hours.

My "standard" procedure at the bridge is to enter three hours prior to high tide, anticipating that the changing current gets me easily back to the west entry beach, after spending the first couple of hours "out front", where there's very little current, even three hours prior to high tide.

My one attempt at diving the east side with that early a start was a real eye opener. Maybe if I hadn't gotten under the little bridge, itself, so early, it might not have been so bad. Could be that even with a scooter the current over on that side would be too much. I tend to avoid the east side, anyway, though, as it's so "deep". :D

As to going "slow", the majority of the time I'm not "going" at all. Once I find something cool, I just lie there and wear out those camera and strobe electrons. Typically, sometime during that period, *other* cool stuff starts showing its face in the same area. Sometimes, it was there all along and I just didn't notice it. :D

So, I wouldn't need a long "run-time" with the scooter, but I would need one powerful enough to drag my lard ass around against some current. It would mostly just spend its time sitting next to my weighted dive flag "reel" and (sometimes) camera box with the old camera and wide angle lens (with no strobes). Maybe I could mount those two gadgets on said scooter. :)

Have no interest in getting "pricey". If what I wanted one for could get done for 400 bucks, then it might be something for me to consider. But, when I can only get there every couple of months (with a six hour drive each way) - and seem to be running out of new and unique things to take pitchers of. . .

Last edited:
I have an apollo APV1 that gets about 45-60 minutes continuous run time on setting 1 (high) but use it for covering more ground while hunting or exploring new areas. For me it is hard enough to find critters at a slow pace. If I dove the bridge that frequently it would be fun...
It could bring stirring up the bottom to a whole new level.....

Report:
Went yesterday with my spotter and thanks to some timely intell from a BB, found two striated frogfish, was buzzed by the biggest eagle ray we have ever seen, saw seahorses, gurnards, battling arrow crabs and much more.
The water temp under the bridge was a frigid 73 degrees as Jim said.
After 3 hours I could barely feel my hands.
But we just kept finding stuff too cool to pass up.
Kevin if you come down in the very near future we can work on your frog fish curse.....
John:D:D:D

Kevin if you come down in the very near future we can work on your frog fish curse.....
John:D:D:D

As if I believe any of these frogfish tales. . .

Kevin, ya gotta keep braving the east side! so many frogs i get bored with them :wink:

We've seen'em both east and west in recent days. The Striated Froggys have such a dramatic lure working--they call attention to themselves!!

We've seen'em both east and west in recent days. The Striated Froggys have such a dramatic lure working--they call attention to themselves!!

The striated frogs are my favorite but i find the Dwarf Froggys much more often than the striateds :( I was down there in may and turned up dwarfs but no other species and always on the east side

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom