Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Jim. Is there a "currant" jelly report? I'm planning to be there several times over the next week or so. Right now looking like Fri afternoon, Monday night dive and Wednesday morning.

(how was Bonaire btw? welcome back!)

Bonaire was GOOD, WE, on the other hand--were bad--we didn't dive enough!! We coulda squeezed a couple more in. Seeing so much coral and big sponges of every color--wow! I actually saw a nice stand of Staghorn coral that wasn't "blown" down during the last big waves events--it was at Thousand Steps in 13 ft of water and very WHITE sand--absolutely beautiful!!

I wasn't at the bridge today, went out on the Blue Tang instead. It was a great set of morning dives...did Deep Ledges, and Wreck Trek....Goliath Groupers everywhere and some rather odd fish maybe someone can identify.
Blue Tang 018.jpg Blue Tang 026.jpg Blue Tang 038.jpg Blue Tang 042.jpg Blue Tang 008.jpg
:eyebrow:

Hello trolls! Coming out from CA to dive BHB for the first time late September, and wanted to see if anyone was available to potentially buddy up sept 28-30? Experienced @1000 dive diver and photographer.

Also, can anyone give feedback on potentially diving BHB at times OTHER than 1 hour prior to high tide. I plan on diving at that time, but wanted to try and hit it again in the afternoon as high tides as early-mid morning those days. Is it possible to dive any portion of the site and other times? Are conditions less than optimal but is it still diveable?

thanks!!
Got responses from another thread but none from this one. Found someone who wants to dive BHB one of these days (still deciding on the day), but if anyone else is free let me know! Also, would appreciate if someone could answer the few questions I had re diving BHB. Thanks

HT on the 28th is 9:29 on the 29th 10:20 & on the 30th 11:12. Really only around the HT is worth the dive. During the summer I dive for 4 hrs. I usually get in 1 to 1.5 hrs before slack HT. I manage this as I dive a 100 steel tank & know the spots to hang out when current starts. I recommend beginning & ending at the boats just off the west swim area. Start there & depending on current then move to the west wall-the area that separates you from the west channel. If you are into macro photography there is a lot in the rubble just south of the mid big bridge but I also recommend going under the bridge & look at the pilings. The far west section just before the wall has a lot of bigger fish that swim in schools thru that section but it is the luck of the draw what you will see. I think it is a bit slow right now although you will probably see octos, sharptail eels, scorpion fish, blennies, lots of yellow rays, spotted & purple mouth eels & some nudibranchs. I try to stay as far west when currents starts & if viz low swim back east putting the southen most pilings to my left shoulder as I get distracted & current could pull me south into the boat channel if I don't pay attention. Mid bridge the viz & current is worse at this time so that is when I go between pilings or depending on conditions just go back to the boat area.Check the lines & the 2 wrecks that are in that area. There is usually a batfish hanging out. Please don't forget to bring a flag (many of us attach a 2 lb weight to the reel & leave it & swim around it but keep it in sight) & stay out of the boat channel.
Have a great time.
Deb

Bascanichthys scuticaris?

Saw this today in about 16 ft. of water - under the boats. Sorry lousy pic. I can only find one reference: called a whip or sooty eel? Can anyone i.d.? It's not in the Human/DeLoach book.

LOTS of jellies. And they're packing a powerful wallop. Both KP and I got stung on the face pretty bad.

whipeel.jpg

Good to see jimw and the dive diva!

Jet,

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to announce that the EAST site has Officially reopened. One of the lifeguards said he dove there last week and the big sailboat is still resident with lots of stuff on it. He reported barracuda and permit. The large signs on the water are gone. Nice to see you jet, did you dive easterly? We went west and saw lots of moon jellies when the tide turned-no damage to us though. I shot some pics of a VERY cooperative batfish, I may post some later as I've not computered them yet--look nice on the small screen though.............We are on a roadtrip north or would be diving Monday and Tuesday.

Good to see jimw and the dive diva!

Jet, good to see you too. Glad you got a chance to meet Helen. She is one of the Chick Dive group. She actually lives in Chicago and comes down for about a week every month and dives with us. She is like us....can't get enough of the bridge. She even has a troll t-shirt! JR is the other chick diver. You are officially invited on our next chick dive. :blinking:

I'm going to be diving my new BP/W at the bridge Monday evening so if you see me going many odd things (odder then normal that is) I'm just putting the wing through its paces.
It was great to dive with Guy and his wife yesterday off the Blue Tang...hope they got some really nice photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom