Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the scrawled file fish really big? There was a pair of them on Thursday.. Biggest ones I've ever seen.

Was the scrawled file fish really big? There was a pair of them on Thursday.. Biggest ones I've ever seen.

I'd say, about two feet or more, based on the shopping carts it was near. Have only seen some that size in Aruba. Beautiful fish ...

(Oh, and just in case you're wondering about my previous post, Adurso and I were just playing:wink:)

That urchin looks like a variation of the Magnificent Urchin that has been seen a few times.. nice find. I bet the photo does not do it justic..

Thanks Jenn. It (he?) was indeed magnificent but I think much smaller: about the size of a golf ball. The long spines made him look twice as big and he was very active. There was a piece of fuzz stuck on a spike and he was waving it around like someone had stuck gum to a finger. Here is another angle:

DSC03542.jpg

And I think we agreed that center eyeball thingie is ***not*** an eyeball?

Octo might have been the same little fella, jet126 shot earlier(missing an arm) ...

Could use some input on staying warm. Checked out the Lavacore short-sleeve(hood/no hood??) as an addition to my 3/2. Any thoughts?

Maybe. Upon reviewing the reject pile this evening I can see my guy is also missing part of a limb.

DSC03501.jpg

I froze today. Time to go with the 5mm, plus 3mm vest and beanie. (BLECH!!!) At 130 minutes my hands were completely numb. We're getting into the time of year when I'll be lucky to manage 90 minutes before I get so cold I'm flag silly. That's the bad news. The good news is guaranteed front row parking AND tons of amazing critters. I moved maybe 20 yards today. In between the octopus, seahorse, neon urchin and juvenile trumpet fish (reject pile) I looked up just in time to see a spotted eagle ray and a trio of reef squid pass me by.

....Maybe. Upon reviewing the reject pile this evening I can see my guy is also missing part of a limb.

View attachment 172758

I froze today. Time to go with the 5mm, plus 3mm vest and beanie. (BLECH!!!) At 130 minutes my hands were completely numb. We're getting into the time of year when I'll be lucky to manage 90 minutes before I get so cold I'm flag silly. That's the bad news. The good news is guaranteed front row parking AND tons of amazing critters. I moved maybe 20 yards today. In between the octopus, seahorse, neon urchin and juvenile trumpet fish (reject pile) I looked up just in time to see a spotted eagle ray and a trio of reef squid pass me by.

Turns out, it's not. Just checked, and mine was missing some of the 3rd right arm.

Re the cold, same here. We did an hour on the first, and another 35min on the second stint; I was frozen stiff, no idea how my wife, just wearing a 1.5 skin, was able to last that long. How low does the water temp usually get in the coming months?

Re the cold, same here. We did an hour on the first, and another 35min on the second stint; I was frozen stiff, no idea how my wife, just wearing a 1.5 skin, was able to last that long. How low does the water temp usually get in the coming months?

I want to say it will get down to the low 70's. I don't think I've seen a 60 degree reported (but I may just be blocking). The air temp before and after the dive can be brutal: 50's. (eek) So you're cold when you get in, cold during the dive and cold when you get out. If you're planning on diving all winter, invest in a thermos for transporting a hot beverage and some sort alternative to the PFP shower is also a good idea... Even a gallon jug filled with tap water is better than the shower ...

Wayward Son and I did some dives a few years ago where it was really cold. I had 68° on my computer multiple times that year..

Could use some input on staying warm. Checked out the Lavacore short-sleeve(hood/no hood??) as an addition to my 3/2. Any thoughts?

I first bought a hooded sleeveless Lavacore shirt--the hood was sooo big that it was useless, so I then got a separate ls shirt and hood. This works well--I ended up with a small hood as they stretch a lot!

Wayward Son and I did some dives a few years ago where it was really cold. I had 68° on my computer multiple times that year..

You guys are scaring me ... Guess, I'll be in a 5mm plus some other stuff, soon. The thermos is a great idea, I usually take a jug of Amino Vital(sports supplement, great stuff), which you can actually drink hot as well.

Jenny, how did Stu like the bridge?

He loved it! He's a spearo, so was jonesin' there a few times.. and we saw a small lionfish, so he was at least able to kill it.

FWIW, on Thursday, I was in my 3mm 2 piece with a beanie and comfortable. But it won't be long before the shorty is changed out for the 7mm.. I'm such a weenie when it comes to cold. And my thermos broke. :(

He loved it! He's a spearo, so was jonesin' there a few times.. and we saw a small lionfish, so he was at least able to kill it.

FWIW, on Thursday, I was in my 3mm 2 piece with a beanie and comfortable. But it won't be long before the shorty is changed out for the 7mm.. I'm such a weenie when it comes to cold. And my thermos broke. :(

Bet, he was ... Probably would have loved to take a couple of those fat, little Cudas home for dinner ...

Wonder, how much more weight I'm gonna have to use, wearing a 5(already got 8lbs on my belt).

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom