Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
pe3uny2u.jpg

Here's a pic I shot the other day while heading back up to NY for work, just thought I'd share!!

PS- Don't worry, the other guy was flying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, just wanted to say hello as I was directed here from another thread. I am very new to the site. I am OW, Nitrox and AOW certified though right after that certification I had to stop diving

All my dive buddies had moved, was considering solo diving BHB as I love this place, especially the price! Lol. I want to dive again, was unsure if you all are a part of scuba dive clubs or simply use this site to act as one for dive meet ups.

Now to go back through and read some posts!

Excellent start, once you work from page 1 of June 2011 to post #6557 of today's post
(amassing great knowledge in the process) you will be ready for Jet to unlock the umpteen zillion posts of the original troll thread to give you Jedi status.
That said, I would recommend a guide for your first forays, besides finding cool stuff they keep you out of hazardous areas till you learn your way around. Force E or Pura Vida will have someone and of course
Scuba Jenny is awesome!
John

A first for me, bristle worms up in the water column. They seemed attracted to lights. Only a couple did this of the hundreds we saw--MrChen will have some interesting video coming soon. Is this behavior some sort of reproductive deal or what?

Interesting dive, we hope to repeat it in 2 weeks when both Force E and Pura Vida sponsor night dives again.............

Are you saying they were mistaking me for another bristle worm? :)

Note to others, don't touch the bristle worms!! The dang thing wouldn't leave me alone so I gently "swatted" it away but made contact with the tip of my finger. OUCH! I spent some time trying to get a half dozen bristles off the finger of my glove and one which went into my finger.

I paired up my GoPro with the bio luminescent light, so you'll see a glowing bristle worm doing a good jiggle in the water chasing me down as I continue swimming away from it. It was almost as scary as the conch which almost ate Jim.

Jim, i meant to ask you last night, that large hermit we found, was that the large one you had been speaking of?

On the down side found a large lionfish just south of the second span west bridge.
After a thorough muck stick pummelling he finally made an escape into the legs....Sadly, his spines were longer than my hand so knifeing him would be risky.
Well Done!!! I like the idea of beating them with a muck stick.

My only suggestion; get some of the Handyman's Secret Weapon, DUCT TAPE!

---------- Post added May 14th, 2014 at 04:57 PM ----------

Hi, just wanted to say hello as I was directed here from another thread. I am very new to the site. I am OW, Nitrox and AOW certified though right after that certification I had to stop diving :(
Welcome, glad you made it and the other (real) trolls didn't chase you off the board!

You'll find good people here.

Are you saying they were mistaking me for another bristle worm? :)

Jim, i meant to ask you last night, that large hermit we found, was that the large one you had been speaking of?

To a bristleworm, we are Godzilla! So the flying bristleworms were the sacrificial WW1 biplane fighter aircraft! They had no chance! They used their best weapons on you Chenzilla!

That was a big hermit--but not the same one unless it changed shells. Might have as the one I saw earlier was in a smallish shell, which made the critter look even bigger! I guess maybe the shell I saw earlier was it's "sport" shell and it changed to the "rv shell"! Yeah, that's it!!:wink:

Here are a few from yesterday morning. And yes, that sh did move into perfect position by the sea star without me doing a thing. Clearly new to paparazzi as she seemed very happy to pose. It was my last dive (gasp) before my dive vacation. I'm headed to STX on Saturday to check out a so-called great pier dive. But unless I see multiple sh's, ff, and maybe a green sea turtle I'm not sure how it will compare to our beloved BHB.

In the meantime I will be trying to keep the "other" page updated so if you dive, please post conditions!

DSC05687.jpg DSC05689.jpg DSC05690.jpg DSC05698.jpg DSC05729.jpg

Have a great trip to St. Croix, maybe you'll see a seahorse!:D:D:D

We went this morning and had a very nice relaxing dive out west BHB. Viz was much better than we thought it would be at about 20 ft and 79-80 degrees in the water. It was windy and choppy, and rained a little as we prepped to go in--so thought the viz would suck! What a pleasant surprise--it was un-sucky!! Lots of octos, giant hermit, a tiny eel down in a hole in the sand, 2 groups of garden eels, an inch and a half long Spanish Hogfish that was cute as could be! Going again tomorrow!! Diva, come on back--the diving is good!

Katharine, the Great White spotted at BHB !!

What an epic photo shootout with a dangerous mad eater. High tide was just after nine today, but the satellites pinged her arrival well before the lifeguards spotted her under the bridge. They tried to stop the BHB “Trolls” from entering the water, but we had to do what we know best and that is to troll for a great story line baiting the unsuspecting reader into a fit of rage.

I first spotted her on the new reef trail hiding behind the rocks looking for a photog with their mask glued to the LCD viewfinder. Easy pickin’s for an ambush attack as the diver went through 137 combinations of F-stops, speeds and strobe angles to get that perfect Starfish photo. The photog never took their eye off the starfish, they just kept kicking Katharine in the face thinking it was another typical point & shooter trying to crowd in on their subject.

IMG_4416.jpg

It was time to call in the troops and push this deadly shark back to federal waters where she could be properly baited and fed by those wild spearo divers. The army took up positions hoping to drive her back towards the inlet

IMG_4436.jpg

But it was no match. 1st Katharine circled and they tried to hide in one of the many BHB shopping cart shark cages

IMG_4412.jpg

Eventually Katharine convinced the divers that sharks are our friends and we shouldn’t be scared of them. So she let them hop on her back and she took them for a ride.

IMG_4426.jpg

This upset the less-than-50-dives new Dive Master and he threw his hands up in the air yelling underwater at everyone.

IMG_4427.jpg

They all had a barbeque on the beach and everyone was happy.

THE END

Attachments

• IMG_4416.jpg
    IMG_4416.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4436.jpg
    IMG_4436.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4412.jpg
    IMG_4412.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4426.jpg