Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_0015-001.jpg

This is from Monday Night's dive at BHB. What's going on with the arrow crab on the left? Looks like it's trying to eat a fish stick :) Is it molting? Or is it even alive?

From the vacant stare of the left one , my guess is that it is the prior molt of the "fresh" one on the right.
Wild to see them pull free, uncurl and "stiffen" up.
Last one I saw molt, the old empty shell still had it's claws locked on a hydroid and the crab had pulled free thru escape hatch pictured.....
John
Closer look the one on right shows some growth on his shell so that can't be "fresh", maybe other one had eggs and pouch was descended...
Did you get any front shots?

Last edited:
Jim, Ask Jeff at Force-E to show you his video of an arrow crab molting that he took recently.

I can't even watch mine, LOL!

Kevin-
If you're straying into video I have several hundred hours (including half naked decorator crab adding sponge) that could use editing. Also an arrow crab completely molting if that sweetens the pot:D:D:D
I know you have a high pain thresh hold but.......

Heck, as incredible as yer video is, I'd sure consider spending some time on it. I've watched every documentary on Discovery, NatGeo, etc. multiple times, and their stuff ain't no better'n yers. However, yer idea of editing and mine would likely not be on the same planet. :) You have *very* high standards.

---------- Post added June 4th, 2015 at 02:26 PM ----------

Tim
lets get some more K night dive content up for here for Facebook impaired!!!

And that reminds me, why are you Facebook impaired?? Yer missing a *lot* of good underwater stuff!

besides being an evil personal data mining, soul sucking entity, it also seems highly addictive.
Mostly I just like being different, a concept you may be familiar with.....

Thanks Bimini and Tim, I will ask Jeff. Susan Gardner over on EvilFacebook said the crab on the left might be sticking it's tongue out at me! Sounds reasonable!

Here are some more photos from another dive at BHB this week:

Up close and personal with a couple roughback shrimp:

jpeg-7085.jpg

jpeg-7053.jpg

A Nudi I haven't seen before: Warty Baeolidia (Baeolidia nodosa)

jpeg-7022.jpg

An all black flatworm I haven't seen before: Black Velvet Flatworm (Pseudoceros bolool)

jpeg-7074.jpg

A few additional shots:

jpeg-7071.jpg

jpeg-7043.jpg

jpeg-7019.jpg

Got 2 new macro lenses to play with and am thinking tomorrows high tide may be the ticket. I have always gone out from the playground then west - haven't been disappointed yet. Since high tide is at noon, i'm thinking it may be time to get in early and head east for a change while the tide slacks. What have i been missing on the east side? I've tended to avoid it since that's where most of the OW classes seem to congregate.

I have only one shot at this. My window of opportunity for diving BHB is 1 day. Plus, I'm an engineer. Plus, I'm anal-retentive. Therefore, I'm planning every detail. Tell me where I'm going astray. This is my first dive at BHB.

Google maps travel time is 2hr 30min. I'm planning for 3hr, to allow for food/bathroom breaks.
On Monday, July 20, high tide is 11:54am. Probably no parking problems, is weekday. Probably no rush-hour problems, is mid-morning. Am I underestimating normal traffic? I will probably depart around 7:00am, adding an additional 30min padding beyond what is outlined below. Gear will be unpacked, mostly setup, and on top of luggage in trunk.

7:30 - depart New Smyrna (near I-5)
10:30 - arrive at Phil Foster
10:40 - rent tank/weight/flag from on-site Stuart Scuba shop
11:10 - Gear Up
11:20 - Enter Water, dive west, out under pier, back under bridge
11:54 - high tide
12:30? - end dive

My questions:

Predicted high tide is 2.6ft, which seems pretty mild. Does this matter?
Should I enter sooner? Later?
When will the currents begin to limit my dive, is 12:30 about right?
When the current returns, can I move to the Snorkel Trail to extend my dive?
I am planning west side only, should I also go to the east on the same dive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom