Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi jet126!

Dove at bhb on Sunday and monday afternoon. The water was "Sparkly" from chopped up jelly being hit by boat propeller. I wore a full suit with a hood and still got stung on the lip on Sunday. Monday condition was much better. Maybe due to less boat traffic going thru the boat channel. This was my first time diving the bhb. You guys are very lucky to have such a wonderful place to dive at.

Alan

There are two dive shops very close: Force E on Blue Heron Blvd. just west and Pura Vida on Singer Island to the east. Both have all the rental gear you need. You can also arrange boat dives with either if that is also on your agenda that week.

You should be fine with a full 3. Check out Jammin' Beach Presents Florida Shore Diving Gives you good information about the park, various dives and also tide tables.

Thanks for the info.

So, I looked into the tides a bit and it seems the tidal swing is consistantly about 3-4 ft. Wow! Up here in the PNW we see swings that reach 14-16 ft! Is there really much of a current when you dive this site off-slack?

I certainly don't mean to tell you your business (I don't solo dive myself), but if the only dives you're doing will be at BHB, I personally wouldn't rent a pony bottle. Your max depth will be maybe 18'.

The current swing is a bit stiff as it's running through a relatively narrow and shallow channel, but IMHO that's not the big problem...

Outside of that magic one hour before to one hour past high tide window, the viz tends to get absolutely crummy and at low tide you're swimming in runoff from the golf courses and residential areas...there's a reason they test the bacteria count there regularly.

Hello all....

I'm a PNW diver with 300+ dives since being recertified a few years ago. I've been diving solo mostly this past year and a half. I'll be visiting Jupiter/Palm Beach the week of Oct. 10. I'm really looking forward to diving this site. Where would one go to rent a tank for the week, weights and perhaps a pony bottle?? How do you predict the currents around this bridge? Would I be ok with just my 3mm full wetsuit that time of year? Any other special issues with diving this site?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

3 mil is fine. I would not rent a pony bottle. Although max depth is 18' the bulk of the dive is from 6' to about 15' and the surface is instantly available. Better to rent a larger steel tank and get more bottom time that way. A pony bottle is just something to bump into the bottom or the pilings. This dive is up-close and macro-oriented so you want to be as compact as possible and have extrememly good bouyancy and trim skills to keep off the bottom at such shallow depths.

You do need to dive slack tide. The current is too strong to swim against because the tide is funneled through a narrow shallow channel. High tide only is the time to go for the best vis. As a tip, there is a large area south of the beach (where sailboats are anchored) where you can dive even when the current is too strong under the bridge itself. There are small wrecks and debris throughout that harbor great critters. I usually like to have a steel 100 and plan for just under 2 hours of diving. I start at this area and then time it so I reach the bridge about 1/2 hour before high slack tide, and then finish 1/2 hour after high and if I have air left then back to the area south of the beach.

This is just an awesome dive almost every single time. Enjoy!!

This dive is up-close and macro-oriented so you want to be as compact as possible and have extrememly good bouyancy and trim skills to keep off the bottom at such shallow depths.

reposted because it needs repeating.

Has anyone been at the bridge today? I cancelled a goliath dive for tomorrow because the seas still look pretty high. Instead we are thinking of doing the night dive and staying over for the morning dive, but we would like to know if the vis has been ruined by the high seas this week. Also, we would like a jellyfish report (although we will be in full suits with hoods and gloves).

Guy

Thanks [-]Emily Lettila[/-] I mean Kevin. I asked for a "report" not a "recipe." (Nice, though, the recipe is) :D

Guy - I called Force E and they are also waiting to hear. No one was out yesterday and they don't know about today. They are still a Go for the night dive tomorrow night but are waiting to make a final decision once they know conditions. I was planning tomorrow morning but don't want to drive all the way up at the crack of dawn only to abort.

If anyone was there today please let us know regarding viz and jellies. (moon not fruit)

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom