Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging from the tail it's a Goliath grouper, never seen one at the bridge which is surprising as I see them everywhere else.....
Saw an even smaller lionfish than Kev's (more distinct spots) and can vouch it has been eradicated.
Jenny- did see a huge lionfish during a night dive off the second legs of the west bridge south side, tried to stab it with my muck stick but he hauled a**....
Next time!
John

I was noticing the same thing....cool that someone got a Goliath at the BHB!!!

I am pretty sure the mangroves inside the intracoastal, are part of the lifecycle after the spawning.
Back in the 60's and before this, the Jewfish were thick at the BHB and all over the mangrove area, all the time...the population on the reefs many dozens of times bigger than it is today, according to Frank Hammett ( living Dive Legend of Palm Beach :) Frank made his own Scuba system the year after Gagnon and cousteu came out with the Aqualung...and from 1955 on, went on to discover pretty much every major natural dive site we now have in Palm beach.
It's kind of sad the way he has never been "celebrated" for the Diving everyone else built on, that he created here in Palm Beach. In any event, he can still tell us how things were in the 50's and 60's.

I am pretty sure the mangroves inside the intracoastal, are part of the lifecycle after the spawning.

I've never seen any mangroves in the BHB area. Do you dive them?

I *did* notice some mangroves on the right side off the road going out to Key Biscayne. I think that I remember that it was sorta near a marina. Know anything about diving that? TIA

Kevin

I *did* notice some mangroves on the right side off the road going out to Key Biscayne. I think that I remember that it was sorta near a marina. Know anything about diving that? TIA

Kevin

LOL! Look west young man.....

Usually visible on any undeveloped shoreline of the inter coastal, have snorkeled it in the keys but would like to try it again on scuba so I could hunt better for the tinies.....

Kevin
I have taken my Kayak from the BHB, and Sandra and I have paddled it about 1/4 to 1/2 mile to the north, into the intracoastal where the mangroves are dense....And I know you have heard of MacArthur Park..which is what you come to in another half mile...that is an enormous mangrove wilderness and nature preserve/park.
When we dove the mangroves, I can't say it was exciting....BHB has life concentrated...the mangroves are like diluted by 100 times...but they go for enormous distances so are explonentially more of a nursery grounds, in the grand scheme of things :)

When we dove the mangroves, I can't say it was exciting....BHB has life concentrated...the mangroves are like diluted by 100 times..

Thank you! Guess I prefer excitement. :D

Kevin

---------- Post Merged at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:48 PM ----------

LOL! Look west young man.....

Usually visible on any undeveloped shoreline of the inter coastal, have snorkeled it in the keys but would like to try it again on scuba so I could hunt better for the tinies.....

Seeing undeveloped shoreline of the Intracoastal outside of the state of Georgia would be a new experience for me. Pretty sure those mangroves on that Miami causeway are the only ones I've ever seen - if that is, indeed, what they are. The underwater videos of them I've seen on TV reminded me too much of those "noodling" shows. :D I even still kind of get the oogies just watching sharptail eels in action. Speaking of "tinies". . .

IMG_5176wa.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Judging from the tail it's a Goliath grouper, never seen one at the bridge which is surprising as I see them everywhere else.....

Had forgotten about running into this black guy last January at the little east bridge. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mentalblock/7161291143/in/set-72157630006785277/

---------- Post Merged at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Have run across this guy on a couple of different dives, hanging out in the same group of bottles in which the sailfin blennies reside.

IMG_5628wa.jpg

And this guy now lives nearby. Actually happy with the video I got of him, too - compared with previous video experiences with my Rebel. I'm thinking that he's probably the prettiest one I've ever seen.

IMG_5612wa.jpg

I'm hearing "video" and "rebel' but seeing stills....
Glad you found the yellow headed jawfish (location undisclosed) but it involved a street marker for easy reference....
Towards the tidal switch he was mad action catching food on the out going tide!
May even edit the "video" someday....
John

yellow

My strobe batteries were pretty much gone by the time I ran into the yellowhead, but this shot without them at least shows the extra yellow "stripe-age" on him that I haven't always seen present on them. I feared running low on air from laughing whilst watching him go through his antics.

IMG_5604wa.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:49 PM ----------

I'm hearing "video" and "rebel' but seeing stills....
Glad you found the yellow headed jawfish (location undisclosed) but it involved a street marker for easy reference....
Towards the tidal switch he was mad action catching food on the out going tide!
May even edit the "video" someday....
John

Do you have any *idea* how much trouble it is to edit video?? :D

" but it involved a street marker for easy reference...." ???

---------- Post Merged on August 27th, 2012 at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous Post was on August 26th, 2012 at 10:49 PM ----------

.And I know you have heard of MacArthur Park..

Something about some ruint cake??

Hello Trolls!
I'm a Mid-West Muck Diver heading to your area in mid October. Hubby & I will have our gear, but will need cylinders. Can anyone recommend a LDS where we could rent some for a day? We would love to have a guide for our bridge dives so we don't miss anything, more recommendations?

I've been wanting to dive the bridge for years and have finally made time to get there ~ can't wait!

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if this has been covered. I've skimmed some of the nearly 300 pages of posts, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Easily Amused

Two Dive Shops are pretty close, on either side of the bridge.

Force-E
155 East Blue Heron Blvd Riviera Beach, FL 33404
(561) 845-2333

Pura Vida
2513 Beach Court Riviera Beach, FL 33404
(888) 348-3972

Can someone who lives up that way please post a condition report today or tomorrow? I'm thinking about hitting an early morning tide later this week but don't fancy diving in pea soup.

Thanks!
jet

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom