blue hole ambergis caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to disagree strongly with Jarhead. If you panic, or anything goes wrong from the depths in the blue hole and you bolt to the surface, you could kill yourself. You are WAY out in the middle of nowhere when you do that dive--so it's not a good place to get into trouble. I work with students all the time and your buoyancy is NOT going to be what it should be for a dive like that right after you get certified. It is a cool dive, I did it twice the last time I was in Belize, but it is not a newbie dive.

Based on the concensus of our group two months ago in Belize, the BH is an interesting "Been there, done that" kind of dive, but not overly spectacular for coral or fish.

I would have to agree that diving to > 130' in your first dives is less than ideal. Better to get comfortable, learn your limits and do it another time.

A number of people have noted the great wall dives that usually follow a BH trip. When we were on AC in December, we made the boat ride out but ONLY did the wall dives (3), and they are awesome! By far the most impressive dives we did that week. It was worth the money and 3 hour boat ride. Food for thought if you could arrange something similar or are willing to skip the BH portion.

ecosvl:
As all have said you should not dive the BH until you have more dives under your belt and also some deep diving experience. What you can do is tell the operator you want to snorkel the Blue Hole and then dive the 2nd and 3rd dives. these last two dives are great wall dives so the trip is still worth going.
Be safe, have fun
I think you can find dive operations that will suit your preferences. Peter from Protech has mentioned that he tries to schedule dives near (but not in) the Blue Hole, when there is interest in it. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=2552304

I suspect other operations offer regular trips to the area without diving the BH. You can plan to dive the Blue hole on a future trip to Belize. The region is certainly worth more than one visit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom