Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not me. I'm going to Balmorhea.
Welcome to the board!

Joe

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only.

And I'm diving Bottomless Lakes near Roswell this weekend, Allen Park next weekend, then Channel Islands the next. Where are you? Not in your Profile...

don

:D

DandyDon:
Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only.

And I'm diving Bottomless Lakes near Roswell this weekend, Allen Park next weekend, then Channel Islands the next. Where are you? Not in your Profile...

don

:D

Is this the Blue Hole or is there another deep lake there?

She's going to "The Blue Hole" of New Mexico, a spring fed hole, probable an ancient volcano vent that is popular for training. It's a 4600 foot altitude dive with 62 degree F water, 84 feet down to the grate that keeps divers from entering the dangerous caves below, 60 odd feet across, wider at the bottom.

It's the closest decent training site for OWs for Albequerque, Amarillo, Colorado Springs, Denver, Boulder, etc. so it stays pretty busy weekends year 'round. Amarillo and Lubbock instructors prefer Balmorhea down in the Big Bend area, certainly better for OWs, but it's the best they can get for the others listed. Kinda' dull dive, but we try to make it fun at times. :eyebrow:

My report: http://www.scubaboard.com/t54557.html

Santa Rosa Diving: http://www.santarosanm.org/scubadiving.htm

There's also city owned Perch Lake, popular in the summer, and privately owned Rock Lake, for techincal training.

I'm going to a State Park maybe 150 miles south of there... :wink:

DandyDon:
"The Blue Hole" of New Mexico is a spring fed hole, probable an ancient volcano vent that is popular for training. It's a 4600 foot altitude dive with 62 degree F water, 84 feet down to the grate that keeps divers from entering the dangerous caves below, 60 odd feet across, wider at the bottom.

It's the closest decent training site for OWs for Albequerque, Amarillo, Colorado Springs, Denver, Boulder, etc. so it stays pretty busy weekends year 'round. Amarillo and Lubbock instructors prefer Balmorhea down in the Big Bend area, certainly better for OWs, but it's the best they can get for the others listed. Kinda' dull dive, but we try to make it fun at times.

There's also city owned Perch Lake, popular in the summer, and privately owned Rock Lake, for techincal training.

How would it be possible to gain access to the caves below? I can organize some of the worlds best deep cave explorers along with scientist and geologist for a extensive look into its depths.

Curt Bowen:
How would it be possible to gain access to the caves below? I can organize some of the worlds best deep cave explorers along with scientist and geologist for a extensive look into its depths.

Divers have been down there. Tales are told, but I don't really know how many were lost before they put the grate in. The Santa Rosa link in my previous post will give you directions to the city, or call Stella, the local lady who runs the air fill station there at 505-472-3370. She can direct you to whoever makes such decisions.

If you'll go to my report link, you'll find Scuba Board member "Dr. Frankenmule" posting. He's a Denver geoligist who dives there regularly. You can PM him from that link.

With your credentials, it'd probably be just a matter of getting to the right people and right information. If you do it, I'd like to be around. Might even help with support to the throat, although there is no way that I could qualify to enter. Let me know if you need any more info I might be able to help with...??

Curt,
Probably not a realistict possibility. It is a city owned facility. However there are some other nearby areas that may interest you. They are on private property. Stella at the dive shop at the hole may be able to steer you in the proper direction.

Joe

DandyDon:
She's going to "The Blue Hole" of New Mexico, a spring fed hole, probable an ancient volcano vent that is popular for training. It's a 4600 foot altitude dive with 62 degree F water, 84 feet down to the grate that keeps divers from entering the dangerous caves below, 60 odd feet across, wider at the bottom.

It's the closest decent training site for OWs for Albequerque, Amarillo, Colorado Springs, Denver, Boulder, etc. so it stays pretty busy weekends year 'round. Amarillo and Lubbock instructors prefer Balmorhea down in the Big Bend area, certainly better for OWs, but it's the best they can get for the others listed. Kinda' dull dive, but we try to make it fun at times. :eyebrow:

I'm going to a State Park maybe 150 miles south of there... :wink:

Thanks

I have e-mail Santa Rosa with my teams desires and qualifications. I will see what time brings out and let you know if we gain any access.

What else do you know of in the area that could be worth exploring?

JENEinNM:
Hi All.

Is anyone going to the Blue Hole in New Mexico this weekend?

You are going to be so glad you found this board. I have been diving for 15 years, yet have learned so much in the short time I have been on SB.

Welcome to SB!

K

Back
Top Bottom