Blue Lagoon...has anyone been lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there a few years ago for a tech class weekend trip, and the 'road' conditions inside the 'park' were pretty rugged, Hummer territory. I've never been back, I've got much better diving conditions (and easily passible roads) up here @ Clear Springs Scuba Park.

A lot of it depends on what you are looking for. It's nice for several shallow dives, as the deepest is somewhere around 27-30 feet, and t hat's if you dig a hole. I was out there several weeks ago helping with a class, the temp. was hovering around 70, which I would imagine being warmer now.

Vis lately has been in the 15-20 ft range (when basic students aren't around). I'll be out there again this weekendhelping with Rescue and Basic classes, so it may be silted up around several of the platforms!

We were there on the 9th and 10th of April. Water was around 73f. Is it worth a drive from Austin - sure, if you have never dove there before. Not a bad place to spend the night camping while it is cool. Expect divers. It has just reopened for the season and a lot of folks are tuning up. I would call ahead and reserve a site. No changing rooms - only port a cans. Fills on site. We have a season pass - I think entry fee is $26.00????

Yes entry fees are $16.00 You can visit our website at The Blue Lagoon - Huntsville, Texas
Come give us a try. I don't think you will find the roads as bad as described. We have worked hard the last two years bringing in commercial graders and working the roads.

We are primitive camping, but we haul in water every weekend and offer hot showers. They do cost you $3.00 We have also added three Air Conditioned and Heated (Cabins)
They are portable cabins with Electricity, a small front porch bbq pit picnic table and clothes rack to hang your wet clothes. You have to bring your own cots, air mattress,bedding etc... They will sleep four comfortably and are $60.00 a night on top of your entry fee. If there are four of you get a comfortable place to sleep for 15 bucks a night. The cabins are up by the headquarters. If you rent a cabin you get the shower at no cost.
The showers can be used for changing rooms and there is no charge for that

If you have any questions just send me an email at info@bluelagoonscuba.net or give me a call at 936-438-8888 We have a

We have air for $8.00 and Nitrox for $15.00

Thanks,

Phil

Blue Lagoon is a good dive spot. The only draw back is it is shallow, but great to work with students. The water was 75F today, but silty from all the students. I willingly make the 3 hour drive to dive with students. I enjoy the diving and Phil is great.

I love Blue Lagoon, but only when it is pristine; i.e., no one is there and it has been undisturbed all night.

Any insight on best times to get the pristine freshness? Is anything being done to keep the silt down? How long does it actually take for a lagoon to clear up after a S&R or Nav class has churned it up?

Hang in there Phil, you are keeping the torch on one of the great dive spots in Tejas!

Me and my son were at the Lagoon for our first time this past weekend doing our Open Water Dives. We loved it! It's a beautiful setting, the weather was great, and it was full of divers! Visibility was definitely better on Saturday (10-15).

Try it! You'll like it!

:mooner:

If you want to have a chance at the best viz then get there when it opens on Friday.. Of course, there are mother nature variables that can come into play as well.

The roads are not an issue any longer.. There used to be some rough spots but Phil & Co. spent a considerable amount of time and money fixing them up once the lagoon was in his control, so even if you have a compact car - no worries!

One things for sure.. I'd rather be taking a class in the BL than Lake Travis right now.. Brrrrrr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom