Blue Springs Flood Photos and Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let us know how it is. Last time I was there was in Jan. Water temps were around 38 F and the viz was maybe 5'.

I'll be surprised if the viz is any better. Been there 5 times and it doesn't change. Might get a bit better than 5' in spots but not much.

Well 5' is probably being kind as the viz was terrible. Max depth was 25', total dive was 43 minutes. Surface water was 77 F while bottom was 59 F. Did dive the cabin cruiser, bus and car but all are heavily silted and appear well encased so no penetrations as I'm unsure how stable their structures are. In comparison perhaps Blue Springs is in better shape than I realized!

Ah but it is all still better than hanging for the evening watching television in a hotel room!

Sunset doesn't get used much. About the only ones that I hear about using it is the university.
Didn't think about it but we have a lot of rain so viz would be down.

Well 5' is probably being kind as the viz was terrible. Max depth was 25', total dive was 43 minutes. Surface water was 77 F while bottom was 59 F. Did dive the cabin cruiser, bus and car but all are heavily silted and appear well encased so no penetrations as I'm unsure how stable their structures are. In comparison perhaps Blue Springs is in better shape than I realized!

Ah but it is all still better than hanging for the evening watching television in a hotel room!

Now you see our dilemma! Before the flood Blue Springs had exceptional visibility by Indiana standards. I think it will come back but it will just take some time. Hopefully the winter will help to clear it up.

The only sites in southern Indiana I'm aware of are private lakes that don't have any public entry point for divers. You either need to know someone with a boat or a homeowner who will let you dive off of their property.

Our other local options are France Park west of Logansport or Phillip's Quarry in Muncie, both being well north of Indianapolis and therefore not convenient from Bloomington.

Are there other sites that are close to Bloomington that might be recommended? I've been using Mark Brook's listings as a guide.

I just checked out the list you're using.

Have you tried Hidden Paradise or White Rock? Both are in St. Paul and not too far from Blue Springs. Hidden Paradise flooded a bit in June in the same storm that got Blue Springs. They've rebuilt the road down to the lower (Scuba) entry point. The main entry is a LONG set of stairs down to a large platform that is used by swimmers. It really isn't practical for divers. The viz is typically iffy and it's shallow (it has a "deep" hole that maybe hits 30' ... maybe) but it has alot of fish and can be a fun place to get wet. Beware of the exit "ramp" however. It has a float on the water end and a hinge on the platform so you can't really walk out. All that does is cause the ramp to sink. You really need to crawl out. I'm also not sure they'd allow solo diving. I don't know for a fact that they don't, but I got a sense that they really want everyone diving with at least one buddy.

I have not been to White Rock but I hear it's not too bad. It has alot of swimmers and rock jumpers, but if you're going on a weeknight that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Also, now that schools are back in session that should also cut down on the number of swimmers. They don't have a problem that I'm aware of with solo diving.

If you're interested I should be able to get you directions.

The last few times I went to Hidden the viz was worse than normal. Almost logged it as a night dive. Seems like they also fixed the ramp with more barrels. I cannot pull the ramp down with my weight. If my dive buddy does not stand on the ramp then I am screwded. Went to blue springs last week and granted the viz is worse than normal but it is close and I will continue to dive there. There is a large amount of grass around the north beach and this was difficult to work around. The next day my legs could feel the difference from working my way around it. Tried going down to the central beach and was not able to drive close due to the mud. I have a 4-wheel suv and still was not going to chance it. If anyone goes to White rock please let me know how it was.

I'll finish with my business in Bloomington on Friday and begin heading east. I already filled my tanks and am planning a return to Blue Springs tomorrow. I'd like to swim further down by the North Beach area and go deeper as it appears to open up viz wise considerably. This time I'll wear my heavier hood and gloves.

Incidently, the Central Beach area parking lot was passable on Monday evening as I drove down there (very slowly) with a Toyota Prius which is riding extra low because of my double 130s in the trunk. I prefer to park and suit up at Central Beach as there is a nice new tank rack that makes preparation very convenient. It was also quite easy for entry and exit. I didn't try driving over to the North Beach area as the road is longer and thus I figured there might be more areas of concern.

After my dive in Blue Springs I plan to continue east to Columbus where I'll stop for the evening. On Saturday I'm hoping to make a dive stop at Circleville Twin Quarries in Ohio, which is 30 miles south of Columbus.

I wish to thank all of the Indiana divers who responded to my questions! Finding the local dive sites is much of the fun when traveling and I sincerely enjoy the opportunities to get out and experience the local waters.

Last edited:
After my dive in Blue Springs I plan to continue east to Columbus where I'll stop for the evening. On Saturday I'm hoping to make a dive stop at Circleville Twin Quarries in Ohio, which is 30 miles south of Columbus.

Personally I would recommend taking a northerly route and hitting Gilboa Quarry instead of Circleville. You can get a room in Findlay which is about half an hour from the quarry.
Ber :lilbunny:

Back
Top Bottom